Hello everyone! New member from AZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iroc

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi:D I also have a few rookie questions maybe someone wouldnt mind helping with. Me and my wife just signed up for scuba classes for our anniversary. I didnt quite realize how much gear and how many options there were.:06: We have not started classes yet but we are having a hard time figuring out what is the right stuff and where the best place to buy from is. Cost is somewhat of a priority since if we bought what was recommended to start the class would cost us well over 700.00. I am not sure if this is just normal for 2 people to start the sport or the shop we signed up for classes at just has a real high mark up. We would love any advise you could give as far as where to look for reasonable prices and some specific product recommendations for us to take a look at and start us in the right direction. Thanks again so much for the help and we look forward to learning so much from this board!!! Ben and Kim :D

Iroc:
We have not started classes yet but we are having a hard time figuring out what is the right stuff and where the best place to buy from is. Cost is somewhat of a priority since if we bought what was recommended to start the class would cost us well over 700.00. I am not sure if this is just normal for 2 people to start the sport or the shop we signed up for classes at just has a real high mark up.

What were you told to buy? I would suggest that you hold off buying anything until after you get certified. You will learn a lot about the sport in the class, and just surfing this forum as well. Everybody has their own idea of what the "right stuff " is and it may not be the right stuff for you. Read everything you can get your hands on and learn about the gear yourself. Possibly rent some different brands and styles and try them out in the pool or on dives after you get certified. Beware of recommendations telling you that some particular piece of gear is "all you will ever need" or "you don't need" or "this computer is better than the rest" etc.

I guarantee that if you buy stuff now, in 6 months you will end up wishing you had waited. It won't take you long to learn what you want, especially hanging around this forum and listening to everyone complain/praise their own stuff :D

Welcome Ben and Kim! My oldest daughter and I were certified last Oct. With the cost of the cert and the basic equipment (mask, fins, snorkel and boots), the bill quickly came to around $1,000. Add to that the rental package for our checkout dives and that's another $200 or so for the two of us. Since I've purchased all of the necessary safety gear for our ocean dives in June. You'll learn what that gear is in the OW class. That came to a few $100 more. And yet, I've fallen in love with it anyway!

It doesn't sound to me like you've spent too much. Actually, I spent more than you did on the cost of our class and basic gear. Good job there!

I'd suggest you buy as little as possible, rent what you don't own (regulator, buoyancy compensator, weights, wetsuit if needed) and learn. Wait to buy until you are more knowledgeable in the sport. You'll read horror stories here about folks who have WAY overbought initially, or bought gear they only used a few times and then upgraded or changed to a different type. Just be patient. It can be a very expensive sport, but then again so can any hobby (snow skiing, water skiing, motor bikes, horses, dogs, triathlon, rock climbin, and on and on).

You can learn a great deal here, but I will warn you. It can become both overwhelming and addictive! But dive in, learn, relax and be patient.

Good luck on your class!

Welcome to the Board, Ben & Kim. I'm down in Tucson, but head up to the Phoenix area on a regular basis to dive (no lakes in Tucson). After you've checked out the Board, be sure to check out the Arizona Scuba forum.

As for your question, $700 seems like a lot for the required equipment. Most places only require mask, snorkel, fins, and booties to take the OW class. A decent start shouldn't run you more than $250 each. You can even go a little less, but you'd be sacrificing some quality, which will cost you more in the end when you upgrade. Post more specifics on what is going to cost you $700 and we might be able to help you. I've been to a few shops in Arizona, and they all seem pretty reasonable. But that price just doesn't. PM me if you don't want to post specifics here. Also, I'm planning on being at Lake Pleasant this weekend. If you want to meet up there, let me know.

Let me just say the lady at the dive shop was very nice but seemed to recommend the highest priced stuff in their store. I guess to start class they want us to have our own mask, snorkel, gloves, boots and fins. The recommended items were

Mask= Raptor 35.00
Snorkel= scuba pro that has a water resistant valve on top 56.00
Gloves= scuba pro 3mm sure grip gloves 55.00
Boots= scuba pro 55.00
Fins= scuba pro twin jet split fins 175.00

Everything else is supplied in the pool classes and cert dives in mexico, cali or carribean.

Howdy and welcome to SB!

I don't know - you may need to talk to another shop?

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:cowboy2: don

smiley-linie-009.gif

PM sent

Iroc:
Let me just say the lady at the dive shop was very nice but seemed to recommend the highest priced stuff in their store. I guess to start class they want us to have our own mask, snorkel, gloves, boots and fins. The recommended items were

Mask= Raptor 35.00
Snorkel= scuba pro that has a water resistant valve on top 56.00
Gloves= scuba pro 3mm sure grip gloves 55.00
Boots= scuba pro 55.00
Fins= scuba pro twin jet split fins 175.00

Everything else is supplied in the pool classes and cert dives in mexico, cali or carribean.

Back
Top Bottom