Bula Vinaka!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickydazla

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Sorry, posted a couple of times without introducing myself... Rick.

SSI Instructor living and working in Fiji. Actually, not doing much as it's low season and I moved to a 5* resort which has little or no guests at the moment... awaiting the opening of big new spangly dive resort in the not too distant future! So, berating the Fijian staff for pilfering giant clams from the house reef and spearfishing napoleon wrasse off the beach and teaching a few of them to dive by way of striking a deal!

Nice One.

welcome to the board

welcometo scuba board

Welcome to Scuba Board! I first learned what "Bula Vinaka" meant when working at the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Hope Fiji is treating ya well. I'm jeleous.

Nah, it's 'orrible! Too many bloody fish getting in the way of a good swim and the water's too warm to be refreshing. Give me an outdoor swimming pool on the northwest coast of england any day and I'd churn up and down for hours.

Bula! Sa rairai vinaka na ilava mai Viti? That's supposed to be "Hello, are the fish in Fiji pretty?" but I haven't spoken Fijian much for about 20 years. I was there from 1986~1990 up in the middle of the main island (Viti Levu.) Taught fish farming up in the Namosi area for the Peace Corps. Anyhow, did a bit of diving while I was there, but not as much as I'd like.....$10 a day Peace Corps pay doesn't go a long way in diving! We used to hang out quite a bit with the British volunteers; I forget what they were called....something like Volunteer Overseas something or other.

Went back for a month in the early '90s, after finishing up a teaching job in Japan, and now have been working in diving here on Guam for about 10 years. Got to practice a little bit of Fijian a few years back when a Fijian contingent came up for the South Pacific Games. Anyhow, good luck in Fiji, don't O.D. on the yaqona/kava, ha ha.

Hope to get back there at some time and do some diving, look up some old friends!

Rick, Who are they feeding to the bull sharks................cutting up some locals? I was there in November and stayed at Tresure Island and loved the diving. Got a bit of mask squeeze one day and took a break from the three tankers but other than that had a blast. Can't wait to get back. So where is this new five star?

Happy Diving

On Tokoriki - at the top of the Mamanucas. It's going to be called Amanuca. Due to open in June but don't hold your breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom