New to Diving, the Boards, and 2008!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vagabonded

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Well, here goes nothin... it's showtime...
:showtime:

Hey yall,

My name is Dave and I'm an alco... whoops. Wrong meet and greet session...

It has been a goal of mine for years to get scuba certafied and explore that 2/3'rds of the earth underwater. However, being from upstate NY, I didn't have the opportunities that others may have at my finger tips to do so. Recently, the NAVY has brought me to Pt. Mugu Naval Air Station in sunny So Cal where I figured I would finally be able to follow up on my diving cert. Well after visting several local dive shops from Oxnard to Ventura to Santa Barbara and getting a little bit different story each time on what it should cost and what kind of gear one should used I figured I better ask google for his opinion, which brought me here. Over the past couple weeks I've been lurking and hopefully learning a thing or two from all you friendly folks. With the newly brought in 2008 year, I figured I would kick things off right and get to introuducing myself on the boards. So hear I am...

As I said prior, I am in the NAVY and I am stationed at the Point Mugu Naval Air Station (adjacent to Camarillo, Port Hueneme, Oxnard, etc). I'm 22 years old and I am an avation electronics technician. I am originally from Binghamton, NY but since joining the NAVY have lived in Great Lakes, IL, Norfok, VA, and here. My goal in joining the boards was to continue to learn about the sport and hopefully meet some dive buddies once I get certified, on account of not being able to convince any of my local friends to join me in my diving endevours quite yet...

Thanks for your greetings in advance and I hope to chat with everyone soon!

Dave

Welcome, and good luck on getting certified in 2008. Diving is great fun and I have meet some really great people too. Be careful though, once you start it can be addicting!

Welcome to the 'board and the world of SCUBA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fee free to drop down to your future local dive forum and join in the fun ..........
ScubaBoard - SoCal Many here to help you get started and grow in this hopefully new addiction. While your'e at it check out one of our sub-forums here ScubaBoard - Beach Crabs for a club that will be there for you as a new diver. Dive on in!!!

Welcome to the board! Head on over to the Cali regional forums on here and I am sure plenty of people can recommend you a good instructor who will make the most of your experience! Just be aware it's very addicting :wink: Enjoy the boards!

Welcome, and good luck on getting certified in 2008. Diving is great fun and I have meet some really great people too. Be careful though, once you start it can be addicting!

Thanks for the welcome! I keep hearing that it is addicting! Heck, I'm already addicted and I haven't even dove yet!

Welcome to the 'board and the world of SCUBA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fee free to drop down to your future local dive forum and join in the fun ..........
ScubaBoard - SoCal Many here to help you get started and grow in this hopefully new addiction. While your'e at it check out one of our sub-forums here ScubaBoard - Beach Crabs for a club that will be there for you as a new diver. Dive on in!!!

Thanks you thank you. I will def check out the SoCal forum and try to find a club.

Welcome to the board! Head on over to the Cali regional forums on here and I am sure plenty of people can recommend you a good instructor who will make the most of your experience! Just be aware it's very addicting :wink: Enjoy the boards!

Thanks for the greeting man. I'll go read bout some different instructors now...

Hi welcome to the board It's a great diving resource.

First and foremost let me give you a Veteran's thanks for all that you are doing to keep our homeland safe as well as give others less fortunate than we are the opportunity to taste what freedom is - and why we as veterans taste the flavor of freedom so much better than the protected ever will.

That needing saying, I am a Navy Veteran and Hooyah patcher (HM) who started my diving career with Uncle Sam at the helm back in 1969. I left the Navy in 1990 and got called back in 1993 as a trainer for those heading to the Gulf War (I played Muslim for the troops... a short scenario in many cases but the point was made).

Diving is my passion... it is my Hospital (too many high altitude departures to hard soil gives one a backache that just doesn't go away) and my therapist (no phone, no jabbering in my ear and only one buddy by my side - most of the time). You will love it. Be safe but most of all be aware of your place in the grand scheme... you are a guest in this watery environment... please respect the critters.

Hey AUGK and Almighty Wife - Thanks for the warm welcome!

First and foremost let me give you a Veteran's thanks for all that you are doing to keep our homeland safe as well as give others less fortunate than we are the opportunity to taste what freedom is - and why we as veterans taste the flavor of freedom so much better than the protected ever will.

That needing saying, I am a Navy Veteran and Hooyah patcher (HM) who started my diving career with Uncle Sam at the helm back in 1969. I left the Navy in 1990 and got called back in 1993 as a trainer for those heading to the Gulf War (I played Muslim for the troops... a short scenario in many cases but the point was made).

Diving is my passion... it is my Hospital (too many high altitude departures to hard soil gives one a backache that just doesn't go away) and my therapist (no phone, no jabbering in my ear and only one buddy by my side - most of the time). You will love it. Be safe but most of all be aware of your place in the grand scheme... you are a guest in this watery environment... please respect the critters.

Thank you for you remarks and thank you sir for your service for your generation made the military what it is today. Diving does indeed sound like an incredible hobby. I can't wait to get started. Where exactly is buck county?

Back
Top Bottom