Are there any women in commercial diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lauren74irmo

Reaction score
Last week I was a guest of Dr. E. Lee Spence in Charleston and got to attend the International Diving Institute's graduation ceremonies. They had just completed four months of training in surface supplied air, hyperbaric chamber operation, underwater welding, etc. It was clear that certification was about to change their lives forever. The guys and their families were so excited it was infectuous.

I had certainly heard of commercial diving, but had never really met anyone who was involved in it. I was really impressed (by the staff, graduates, ceremonies and IDI's facilities) and am now seriously thinking about attending.

Dr. Spence said they had only had one woman (an underwater archaeologist) go through their program.

Does anyone know how women are treated by the commercial diving industry? Is it just another guys only club?

I know the money is great, but what about housing, etc. when they are working offshore? Are there any restrictions on women?

Lauren

PS: IDI's web site is International Diving Institute (IDI)

There are women in commercial diving and pretty much always have been.

Contact Bob3 on here for a different perspective on the buisness.

Generally diving inland pays better and has better working conditions than offshore but may require getting into the union.

Much commercial diving is construction work at a jobsite that is underwater.

Most people I worked with cared about getting the job done right and fast and not at all about the gender of the team members.

Last week I was a guest of Dr. E. Lee Spence in Charleston and got to attend the International Diving Institute's graduation ceremonies. They had just completed four months of training in surface supplied air, hyperbaric chamber operation, underwater welding, etc. It was clear that certification was about to change their lives forever. The guys and their families were so excited it was infectuous.

I had certainly heard of commercial diving, but had never really met anyone who was involved in it. I was really impressed (by the staff, graduates, ceremonies and IDI's facilities) and am now seriously thinking about attending.

Dr. Spence said they had only had one woman (an underwater archaeologist) go through their program.

Does anyone know how women are treated by the commercial diving industry? Is it just another guys only club?

I know the money is great, but what about housing, etc. when they are working offshore? Are there any restrictions on women?

Lauren

PS: IDI's web site is International Diving Institute (IDI)

Yes there are woman in the field working both inland and offshore.

From what I have seen they are rarely treated the same, usually better or worse. It depends allot on the age and attitude of the other personnel.

Look around at all the schools available before making a big decision like that. Dive school is expensive 8000-20000 at private schools and 1200-2500 at state funded courses. Look into Youngs memorial for some perspective and make sure the school is ACDE Association of Commercial Diving Educators accredited. This is also the ANSI standard.

Good luck in you career!

Jeff

Yes there are women commercial divers... a friend of mine's daughter is / has been one for almost 2 years now. Loves it but wants to do more than what she is doing. So you still have to pay your dues and work your way up through the ranks just like anyone. In some cases you have to wait until some one above you leaves to get promoted or new responsibilities.

i am a certified commercial diver and i am the only active diver in my state where i live . it is very frustrating to be the only female at my job of 150 men. i really love my job but the way some divers treat you is awful. ive been diving for some yrs now , i love my job

I can only tell you the experience I have, and that is from the British sector.
I worked off shore with one woman, Liz James her name is. I don't think she does it now. She certainly held her own in a male dominated industry.

She was an air diver. There are no women sat divers over here. I think that's more to do with the logistics and personal space. I mean, there are camera's in the shower, in the loo, there is NO private space anywhere. I don't think its any other reason than that.

Get qualified and be the first in your area, that's what I say. As for it being better money in shore than off, that is not the case here, not by a mile it isn't.

Air diver offshore here are on about Ž£480 per day. Sat divers are on Ž£1000 a day. The inshore lads are on about a quarter of that day rate for air!

There are a good few Americans off shore here. Canadians, South Africans, the lot.

Got get it Girl...

Tony Groom.

Have a look at my site.
DIVER DIVER. A diving book. Diving, scuba, saturation, a life under water.

it depends on the job inland i get paid pretty well we get over time and holiday pay that makes a differance . some pay is according to the job. dive a pipe inland and clear 1,000.00 dollars in about 1hrs work. they pay by the foot. its dangerous , but so is off shore diving. divegoddess

welcome aboard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom