Contemplating Purchasing an Underwater Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpierce

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello to All,
I just joined the Scuba Board...

I'm considering a new underwater digital amera and I'm looking at a Ses & Sea DX3000 (yes, I know it's discontinued but it's brand new at a GREAT $ from a local dive store) or a Canon S60 w/WP-DC40 underwater housing (also discontinued and fantastic price). My experiences with underwater cameras are limited to SEA & SEA MX-5 and MX-10.

Does anyone have any reviews of the DX3000 or Canon? Also, if you could, let me know of accessories and their reviews.

If you have any camera suggestions other than what I've mentioned, that would also be really appreciated.

I'm looking for something that would do well for reef and wreck photography, preferrably frated or deeper depths ~140 - 165' (I like a little extra safety margin); not than I'm diving that deep anytime soon but the Oriskany is calling...

Thanks in advance

Mucho Gracias... I posted the question there. Do you have the strobe for your DX3000?

Welcome to the board! Hope you stick around after you get your camera stuff sorted out. Sorry I can't be of assistance to you with your specific photography questions.

noooooooo... U/W is a one-way street!!!!

kidding aside, welcome to the board. and yes, browse through the photography section for useful tips and stuff.

Welcome to the Board, fellow Zonie. Several of us enjoy diving the balmy gin-clear waters of Lake Pleasant (yeah, right) and there's always room for one more. Visit the Southwest Sandsharks forum(if you haven't already) to keep up on the loca haps. I'm at the lake most weekends so if you are looking for local dive buddies, let us know.

Steve.

Hello to All,
I just joined the Scuba Board...

I'm considering a new underwater digital amera and I'm looking at a Ses & Sea DX3000 (yes, I know it's discontinued but it's brand new at a GREAT $ from a local dive store) or a Canon S60 w/WP-DC40 underwater housing (also discontinued and fantastic price). My experiences with underwater cameras are limited to SEA & SEA MX-5 and MX-10.

Does anyone have any reviews of the DX3000 or Canon? Also, if you could, let me know of accessories and their reviews.

If you have any camera suggestions other than what I've mentioned, that would also be really appreciated.

I'm looking for something that would do well for reef and wreck photography, preferrably frated or deeper depths ~140 - 165' (I like a little extra safety margin); not than I'm diving that deep anytime soon but the Oriskany is calling...

Thanks in advance

My recommendation would be either Canon A570IS, A720IS or A640IS with a Canon housing. All can be had (w/housing) for somewhere between $325 - $400 on Amazon.com.

For discussion on these cameras try entering A570IS A720IS A640IS in the Search block on Scubaboard and you will find lots of threads discussing the merits of these 3 cameras and links to some amazing photos along with links to photos taken with each.

Also recommend you do another search on Scubaboard for Alcina and you will find that she has posted some most excellent material on digital photography.

To see some recent Sipadan photos taken with a Canon A720IS go to the end of this post and click on the link for Picasaweb in my signature line. Then select the Sipadan Underwater folder. These were all taken with either natural light or the cameras internal strobe - no external strobe.

Rick,
Thanks for your input and I'll be sure to check out these cameras.

Rick,
Thanks for your input and I'll be sure to check out these cameras.

bpierce,

Your welcome. Good luck on your hunt for a camera. You can get some pretty amazing photos with relatively inexpensive Point & Shoot cameras and housings these days without breaking the bank.

I really like my A720IS but I'm sure I'd probaby be just as happy with the A570IS (cheapest of the bunch and still a great camera) or the A640 (only one of the 3 that uses 4, AA batteries).

If you want to spend a bit more you might want to consider the Canon G9.

Back
Top Bottom