Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What BCD to buy?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000+
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by garklaw View Post
    Hi all,
    I am upgrading my bcd and was hoping for some advice, I'm looking at Mares or Scubapro. I am an Instructor so dive fair bet, but it also needs to be light wight for travelling. If anyone has a new mares or scubapro bcd, i'd love some feed back.
    cheers
    Gark
    I've tried both, and chose Scubapro's Glide. . . I have shoulder trouble and the Scubapro design fit me better. I did dive a couple of Mares and they were good, a little less expensive, but didn't fit me quite as well. . . If you're over 60 my observation may fit you, also. You really need to try BC's in the water to know your best fit.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    look at the zeagle ranger...its what we use and i have had no issues with it

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    I personally prefer scubapro T-black, just love the style and the air capacity...

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    Photos
    Hey Gerklaw. .

I use the Marse Icon bcd. . I really enjoy it as it is a light bc
    made for travelles. . It is back invlation wich i find more
    comfortable. . You can also remove the bladder and then just
    have a harness that you can use. .

Live to dive and dive to live. . . .

MSDT

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    I am an instructor too and I use a Mares Vector 1000 MRS
    The BCD is traditional and probably I would not use it if I was not teaching however when you are in this line of business you have to consider:
    1. That is better to have gear that is similar to the one the rental student has so in one word simple
    2. You definitely need a BCD with pockets as well as trim weights so that when you demonstrate hovering or teach buoyancy you have many options to show together with the belt
    3. You need something sturdy
    4. You need comfort and the Vector has a good cushion on the back
    5. Last but not least you need massive pockets if you don't want to look like a Christmas three
    I am in the water with by huge SMB (AP Valves Buddy), a pocket reel, a knife, slates, spare torch, pocket mask
    AND ALL FITS INTO THE POCKETS

I have tried other BCD for teaching and the pockets were tiny, to teach you don't need super cool equipment just something that does the job

Final note it weights 3.6 Kg is not very light but not too heavy and I would not opt for a travel version with tiny pockets to teach

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12