Washington DC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tecuko

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys,
My wife and me are working toward our open water diver certificate. We just finished the confined water dive part, and we are looking forward to finalize our course. We live in DC, and I'm not sure where we should go to do it... We are pretty short in time, but I would love to dive in salt water, so we were thinking about Florida, maybe... Please, help us out, give us some hints.
Thank you,,
attila

Welcome to the board! If you want to travel to do your cert there are endless possibilities...but you could also do it right here (although I would wait till it warms up a bit). Milbrook quarry is only an hour away. Do you actually live in DC, or just near DC. If you are ever in need of a new LDS be sure to check out NOVA Dive Center in Sterling, VA.

Also check out our regional forum

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mid-atlantic-bottom-feeders/

Post number 7 in this thread has a list of all the local diving locations.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mi...d-your-favorite-dive-spots-our-directory.html

Hi Princesse,
Thank you.
The endless number of possibilities is the problem. I'm a newbie, both in scuba and in the country, so I would greatly appreciate any advise, based on personal experiance.
I don't mind cold water, but my wife... Well, she is pretty small, and het heat capacity and tolerance against cold is close to zero.
Do you dive in Milbrook quarry? I would go there just for fun sometimes, but Im a bit afraid that the water is completely empty.
I'll check the NOVA dive center.
Thanks again,,
a

I do go to millbrook...but I don't really like it until June or July. I hate hoods and gloves with a passion, so I don't like to go until I can dive in just a 7 mil suit. They have some thinks sunk for you to look at, but it's mostly just to swim around and good for practicing the skills you learn during your OW class. Lake Rawlings is 3 hours south of here, it's warmer than millbrook, and it has neater stuff to look at, and the visiblity is better.

As far as where to go to get certified. Flying to the caribbean can get pretty expensive with airline and fuel costs nowadays, but I can usually find decent priced flights to Florida if I check often and am not in a hurry to buy them. Fort Lauderdale (I've done) and Key Largo (I've heard) but have very good diving. I think you would be very happy with either.

If you're not concerned about $$ airfare though, other places to consider are Belize, Cozumel, and Bonaire. I've done the first two, and I always hear good things about them here on SB.

Welcome Aboard! Key Largo has good shallow diving for your check out dives. And, it's not far from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale flights. Enjoy your classes!!

Welcome to the Board! My son lives in Ashburn VA and flies for United out of Dulles. I would suggest out of DC area Aruba, Curacao or Bonaire! United flies direct to Aruba on Wed/Sat. You can also look at Delta to Curacao and or Bonaire! Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

Liz

Welcome. I live in Vienna, so just down the road. I would recommend flying down to Ft lauderdale or Miami and driving down to Key Largo. There's great shallow reefs and so much more to see than the local quarries. Actually, I'll be heading down for a long weekend Thursday!

Thank you very much. We are thinking about to fly to Hawaii in October, but... You know, it's itching, so I just want to dive. Thank you very much for the information.
According Millbrook. Can I just show up there without a buddy?
Thanks,,
a

I do go to millbrook...but I don't really like it until June or July. I hate hoods and gloves with a passion, so I don't like to go until I can dive in just a 7 mil suit. They have some thinks sunk for you to look at, but it's mostly just to swim around and good for practicing the skills you learn during your OW class. Lake Rawlings is 3 hours south of here, it's warmer than millbrook, and it has neater stuff to look at, and the visiblity is better.

As far as where to go to get certified. Flying to the caribbean can get pretty expensive with airline and fuel costs nowadays, but I can usually find decent priced flights to Florida if I check often and am not in a hurry to buy them. Fort Lauderdale (I've done) and Key Largo (I've heard) but have very good diving. I think you would be very happy with either.

If you're not concerned about $$ airfare though, other places to consider are Belize, Cozumel, and Bonaire. I've done the first two, and I always hear good things about them here on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom