Has anyone used doc's pro plugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

john.stacy

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a hole in my left ear drum so I wear a special mask with ear cups that work great. But they don't work with my buddy talk system so I am thinking about using the plugs I was hoping that some of you guys and gals might have some experence with them.

I used them in the past on a few dives. I didn't see any difference in using them or not. Plus they kept falling out and the little string which held them together (like ipod earphones) was a nusiance.

I believe there is an article on the DAN (divers alert network) website that talks about the proplugs.

Hello John;

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Is the mask you refer to called the ProEar2000? I heard that mask works well. I've talked with people that use both the ProEar2000 in conjunction with the Doc's Proplugs for double protection with great success. I recall a young lady who experimented interchangeably between the two... you can read the thread by checking out this link http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-earplugs-does-any-know-anything-these-4.html . Hope this helps.

Cheers;

Doc's

800 521 2982

Hi John,

I don't have a hole in my ear drum, but I had terrible problems with ear infections when I first began diving. I used the ProEar2000 with great success, then had the opportunity to try a pair of Doc's proplugs along with them. I was really glad to have them as a back-up early on, as sometimes I wouldn't get the seal right on one of my ears and water would leak in. As time went on, I was confident enough to use the Proplugs without the ProEar and was very happy. I still use the the Proplugs on occassion when I'm doing a lot of diving in a short period of time, or when my ears start to give me any sign of trouble.

When you go into a dive shop to get them, ask for help in getting the proper size, as having the best fit will give you the results you'll looking for. Good luck!

Simple fact, they work and work well....I have no trouble clearing without them but a couple of years back I tried a pair of my brothers to see how they work....I found that in the cold water I was diving in it was easier to clear so I started diving them all the time....I did not use them in warm water as warm is easier than cold to clear in. But if you have ever dove on a liveaboard making 6-7 dives a day then you know that your ears take a beating. I tried the plugs on the last two trips I made and my ears were fine the whole time....in fact I picked up two new pairs of the red ones at DEMA so I can find them when I drop them, the clear are easy to lose. Also I never dive without a hood of some sort so they stay in, without a hood I don't know.
Yarg

It is all a personal choice as to whether they work or not. I do not use them because I have only ever had problems clearing once and that took all of about 1 minute to overcome. HOWEVER, I do know of several people that dive with them, my significant other as one. She used to take upwards of 5 minutes to get through the first 20-30 feet of water because her ears hurt some much. With the Doc Pro Plugs vented for divers, this trip usually now takes less than a minute. She loves them because they work almost perfectly for her. She has lost several pair as another poster mentioned. This was frustrating but when she bought them with the lanyard, if they fell out after the dive, the lanyard caught on her hair or tank and I was able to get them so they did not get lost. If you feel that is too much of an inconvenience, then they are not for you (with a lanyard).

Seeing the improvement for those that I know, I have no problem suggesting to anybody that they at least try them out. If you do not like them, then you are not out much money. If you do, your diving becomes so much easier and pleasurable that you will wonder why you did not get them earlier.

I have a hole in my left ear drum so I wear a special mask with ear cups that work great. But they don't work with my buddy talk system so I am thinking about using the plugs I was hoping that some of you guys and gals might have some experence with them.

My wife had some problems initially when she started diving with her ears. After we returned from her first dive trip, a guy at one of the local dive shops suggested she try them. (Doc's) The shop had just started carrying them and only had a couple of sizes and what they had were to large so they fitted her and ordered her correct size. (Correct size is very important and they come in a bunch of sizes) Now she has absolutely no problems and keeps two extra pair with her on every trip. They have been a popular item at the shop and I think they now carry most all the sizes.

Hi John,

I've had mine about 18 months. I use them most of the time but forget them occasionally. I don't have ear problems, nor problems clearing, and I don't notice any difference in that regard with or without them.

I bought them mostly to prevent ear problems that I have read about, mostly with surfers exposed to cold water for long periods of time.

The only other comment I can make is that living and diving here in Southern California I wear a 7 mm hood. After a while the pressure of the hood pushing on my ears with the Pro plugs inside my ears makes my ears ache (the outside of the ear and the canal, the area surrounding the plug). Somtimes after 2 or 3 dives I have to remove them to do any further diving that day.

I don't have this problem when I dive in warm water with little or no hood.

Good luck,

Wally

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom