Can't Help Myself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amasake

New
Reaction score
Hello, divers!

After about five years of diving around the Caribbean, I took five years off cause my life got a little too crazy for leisure travel... Last December, I stumbled on an incredible flight/hotel/food package that was too good to pass up. Spent four days on Grand Bahama, snorkeled my heart out, loved it but of course the small reef outside the hotel just made me hungry to go diving again.

Now, I'm headed back to the same place in just two weeks, and while I've been telling myself I don't need to spend the extra money for diving... well... you know how it is.

I. Want. To. Dive!

Specifically, I'm tempted by shark alley... I keep reading about how incredible this experience is but then it seems a little theatrical to me... I wonder about the animals and their stress levels and such. I certainly don't wanna be some jerk annoying fish for my own sheets 'n gargles.

So I'm trying to talk myself outta this but on the other hand... it really does sound very cool to swim with sharks. I've never actually seen a shark yet... well, I saw a really little nurse shark sleeping, once, but that was more a "Oh, neat" moment than the "OH MY GOD!" experience that reviewers of shark alley tend to say it is.

Thoughts?

Also... can anyone recommend a good dive operator in the Freeport/Port Lacaya area? I'm staying at Viva Fortuna Beach (Wyndham), which has its own dive shop but often these resort-run shops are overly expensive and often not terribly invested in building good dive buzz in the community. I'm a big fan of word-of-mouth recommendations...

Thanks so much for checking this post out... Have a great holiday weekend, everyone!

Welcome to ScubaBoard :admingreet:

Sorry, can't recommend a dive op but you may want to check out this forum.

Diving is an experience reserved for a few and a life style. Once certified, your whole outlook on vacations will forever change. Get certified locally, don’t waste valuable vacation dives getting certified.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Awesome, thanks. I prolly should've posted there but there are so many links on the main scuba forum page that I got a little overwhelmed. Should I cross post or is that frowned upon here?

Also... I searched for shark dives and found a really cool discussion thread on that guy who died after a chum-crazy shark on one of these "experiences" took a taste of him. The shark dive thing seems a bit disrespectful of nature, too but...

I only have $$ for one really cool dive on vacation so I'm just trying to find something jaw-dropping or inspiring. Thanks for any input!

BTW, I'm certified.

Well then, I’m preaching to the choir!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom