Stopped by for some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoomi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all.

Since I've signed up to ask some questions before deciding to take lessons, I guess it's only fair to introduce myself.

My name is Rick, though I go by Hoomi more often on the internet. The nick started as a phonetic pun in an online game we used to play, and just kind of stuck ever since. I'm 48 years old, have been happily married since 1980, and together my wife and I have raised two terrific kids. We currently live in Tucson, Arizona, with a small pack of Australian Shepherds, two cats, a bird, a snake, and about a bazillion geckos that hang around our porch light during the summer months.

I've never gone Scuba diving, though I've snorkeled in Okinawa and Hawai'i way back when I traveled with the Air Force. My wife lived in Hawai'i with an uncle and his family for nearly a year when she was a teenager, and did some snorkeling there as well. She's expressed an interest in learning to dive a number of times in our years of marriage, and repeated that desire last night while we were watching a movie.

I asked DebbyDiver a couple of questions, and she recommended I pop over here and ask those with more recent instructor experience, so here I am. Provided nothing precludes being able to do so, I expect to surprise my wife with lessons for her birthday next month, and we can start doing another one of those things we've only talked about previously.

Anyway; that's the Hoomi story in a nutshell.

Hi Hoomi,
Welcome to :sblogo:

Hey Hoomi,
Great place to ask questions. A varity of view points and each will have its own merits. So ask away and enjoy.

Hey Hoomi Welcome!!

I had put off diving for years started lessons myself. I tell you what, it is an amazing, thrilling, and addictive experience that I wish I had done sooner! You would rack up some major points with your wife for a gift like that! I hope you take the lessons too so that the two of you will always have a dive buddy. What a better way to start another chapter in your lives together!

Good luck to you!

If there isn't any problem with her taking the lessons, I plan on taking them as well, since the shop offers a 2 for 1 deal (second person just has to pay for the books). I should hear back from her orthopedist on Thursday, and I think I'm going to go visit the Dive Shop this afternoon and look at a couple of things.

I'll need to get her a mask that accepts prescription inserts, as she's nearly blind without glasses (and what fun would diving be if she can't see anything?). I think, though, that I can probably manage all this without spoiling the surprise. :)

I would look up all the local dive shops and pay each one a visit.Talk to the people at each one and then decide who to take your class with.The nicest most helpfull shop,to you,is who youll want to do buisness with.Be sure you and your wife can pop your ears easily before waisting your money.That may be hard to do with her if its a surprise.Diving together should be a blast.I wish my wife could but shes scared of the water.Good luck!

welcome hoomi...i'm a newb to diving, too...i just got certified earlier this year--but i've been intrigued w/diving since i was a kid...anyway, i'm sure you and your wife will enjoy diving! :)

banana.gif
wavey.gif

WELCOME TO
:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:

One thing ... the PX mask with the changeable lenses ... you have to watch out for a thing are two. I wear glasses and have contacts and wear both. I can see close but not far away. Left eye is -1.5 and right eye is -1.75. Now when I wear a regular mask I can see my computer and watch and everything on me but not good at far away. Put on the PX mask I see fine except when I try to read my computer. I can just bearly see it and that's not real clear. So it's pick one, close are far. Now I have new contacts that let you see far and near at the same time, but either not as well. So I wear them and a regular mask. I've tried the little stick on wedges at the bottom of both masks with no, "good" luck at all. I find it really hard to take pictures I should say "see" the pictures I'm taking with the PX mask on are the progressive contacts and the regular mask.

I haven't found the solution ... but there is one get a full blown PX mask with ground lenses are you need both to see near and far. So they are like glasses that are progressive. I'd have her try them in a pool before she bought them ... don't buy them if she can't try them first. You'll spend good money after bad. Just a heads up ...

I visited the Dive Shop I'm considering, and I was quite impressed by how helpful the owner and employees are.

The kids like the idea of making this my wife's birthday present, too. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom