New to boards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoachSteve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey, name is steve, i coach, hence the name. i am in Atlanta, and have 14 dives under my belt. I LOVE diving, and want to do it a lot more. I am learning about what the right gear to get is so any help there will be greatly appreciated.

Hey Coach Steve....

Most companies make good products. So here is my partial gear list:

Suunto Vyper and Alladin Tec 2 computers. I also have a Uwatek bottom timer.

2 Worthing steel cylinders with H-valves...although I am thinking of dumping them for a set of doubles.

I have 3 wet suits...Two Aquaflex...one 3ml and one 7 ml. I just bought a Waterproof 3 mm. Saw it at DEMA and it didn't let me down. It is a great suit. I also have a DUI TLS drysuit.

I have 2 buoyancy control devices...one is a Seaqest Pro QD for
teaching and an OMS bungeed bp/w for all other diving. I even use it for the open water sessions sometimes. The bp/w is by far my favorite rig.

I use Aquaflex fins and a small profile Technisub mask.

As far as regulators I have had an Aqualung Micra for more years than I care to admit and I use it to teach classes. It is still performs flawessly. I also have 2 ATX 200's and 1 ATX100 for the tec dives, which occur mostly in the late Fall and through the Winter.
I have an OMS Vega dive light as well as a Greenforce HID with a 50 watt bulb. Not gonna tell you the price. Wouldn't recommend even considering it right now:)
So the above is a partial list of the basic brands I use

I believe this approach by other members will set you off with their equipment and give you some perspective to help you to begin your search for your own stuff.
Wish you the best in that search...

excellent, thanks for the info and the welcomes. I am reading up on threads around here. great place to learn and get to know other divers.

Hi Steve!

:admingreet: Welcome to Scubaboard!

So, what do you coach?

Welcome to the Board and the adventure of diving, and what can be a bigger adventure of searching for the right gear. ;-) For safety, most any brand of gear works. It comes down to the type of diving you do and will be doing, and comfort. You could have the most expensive gear in the world, but if you are not comfortable using/wearing it, then it is useless. What I look for, besides comfort, is ease of use. The first question I ask myself when looking at a piece of gear is "How easy will this be to deal with when I get into trouble." A piece of gear may fit great, be easy to maintain and use under normal dive conditions, but how will it handle if you have an issue.

For me, based on my parameters for a piece of gear, some of my stuff is relatively basic and inexpensive, such as my mask, fins, snorkel and wetsuits, my BC and regs are middle-range, and my computer is higher range.

You also need to ask yourself how this gear will work if you go further into diving, such as nitrox, deep, wreck, etc.

Hope this helps.

I coach for a high school home school football team. we give homeschooled/christianschool/private school kids without football the opportunity to play. It is an AWESOME ministry for me, I love it. here is the website.

Georgia Force High School Football :: back to back Champions of the Georgia Football League

so in the fall, I don't get to do much diving, but maybe a Saturday trip local or something like that.

any atlanta divers feel free to PM me if you ever want to dive around here on a Satruday or any trips are coming up. I am new but I try to do the right things and not make veteran divers angry. I will ask a lot of questions though. I love to learn about all things scuba.

banana.gif
wavey.gif

WELCOME TO
:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:

Glad to meet you. I coach wrestling for grade schoolers from 1st to 8th. Both AAU & USA Wrestling.

Everyone on here will tell you what equipment is the best to buy. It's what they are using! Listen to everyone and ignore everyone even myself. Talk to your LDS, search the net. Take all that you learned, read and have been told. THEN you make the choice what you think is the best for you! It's your money and you have to feel good about your gear ... it's alot better when you know why YOU picked it.

thanks bob, nice to meet you.

I bet that is fun coaching wrestling. is it in a school setting or like after school, in your gym, or another gym?

Yes, that is what I am doing right now. I am trying to figure out what people like and then test those versuses what I know so far, which isn't a lot. hehe

Steve it's a blast ... been coaching for the last 7 years now. We are high school feeders we have one little league team that covers two school districts. The high schools our kids go to are normally Lindbergh HS and Rockwood Summit, hence the name of our team Rockwood-Lindbergh Wrestling Club.

We have appx 120 to 160 kids a year. A upper middle size team. Most do AAU Tournaments and a few also wrestle USA tournaments. We practice 2 nights a week one night at Lindbergh HS and one at Rockwood Summit HS and tournaments are Saturday and/or Sundays.

We have a lot less numbers than the few teams ... but :) we have the most 1st places in the larger tournaments usually. We have the records for our kids taking 1st place in the largest tournaments in Missouri, called Triple Crown Tournaments - The Ozark Regional for the Ozark Area, The Missouri Invitational for other State kids to compete on the trek to nationals. And The Missouri State Championships.

We have a great mix of kids, religion, race and income. We don't turn anyone away, even from outside the area. Our kids make bonds they will keep for the rest of their life's. Can you tell I'm really proud of our team?

Back
Top Bottom