Hi! Hoping to become an Instructor...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fhsgolfer

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, name is Austin. I have been certified for four years now, just OW, but hoping to advance higher. I only dive on vacations right now, including Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, and Cozumel. I'm going to Aruba and Curacao in two weeks for some more diving fun. I'm going to be a Senior in college in Ohio this year, but after I graduate I'm looking to do an Instructor internship and try to make a career out of it. This is a post for later, but any ideas for the best shops/operations I should be looking at for such an internship? Anywhere in the world is fine, but I would love to make a career of it, so job search help and such is preferred.

Thanks!
austin

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

You have to talk with local shops and see if they will do a work for trade type deal with you.

or try this

http://www.keysidc.com/contactUs.php

This is Rainbow Reef in Islamorada in the Keys. They offer what your looking for. Good Luck!

Hey, name is Austin. I have been certified for four years now, just OW, but hoping to advance higher. I only dive on vacations right now, including Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, and Cozumel. I'm going to Aruba and Curacao in two weeks for some more diving fun. I'm going to be a Senior in college in Ohio this year, but after I graduate I'm looking to do an Instructor internship and try to make a career out of it. This is a post for later, but any ideas for the best shops/operations I should be looking at for such an internship? Anywhere in the world is fine, but I would love to make a career of it, so job search help and such is preferred.

Thanks!
austin

A little of topic but ...

What was you major in college?

First you need to dive more than on vacation. Ohio has some great dive sites and the Great Lakes are just a short drive north. You also need to get a few more certs in like Advanced, Rescue, and DM. I would not even think about Instructor until you get those. THere are places where if you have the green they'll take you all the way thru. Then you might be able to instruct in conditions like those at the training place. If you want to be a good well rounded instructor get as much experience in as many different conditions as possible. There are places in Thailand where you can do the whole shebang but I'm not familiar enough to recommend one over the other. Just how many dives have you done in those 4 years?

A little of topic but ...

What was you major in college?

I'm a Marketing major, I'll be finishing my degree this coming May!

First you need to dive more than on vacation. Ohio has some great dive sites and the Great Lakes are just a short drive north. You also need to get a few more certs in like Advanced, Rescue, and DM. I would not even think about Instructor until you get those. THere are places where if you have the green they'll take you all the way thru. Then you might be able to instruct in conditions like those at the training place. If you want to be a good well rounded instructor get as much experience in as many different conditions as possible. There are places in Thailand where you can do the whole shebang but I'm not familiar enough to recommend one over the other. Just how many dives have you done in those 4 years?

I have done about 25 dives, and I'm going to be doing about 6-8 more next week when I'm in Aruba/Curacao. I know I have to do more dives, but since I'm in school and working full-time when I'm not, it's a pain to drive up to Mich and such. I was thinking about doing the whole "schibang" at once (much likes the ones in Thailand you mentioned). Since I hate diving in colder water, I wouldn't mind instructing in a place like Thailand if thats where I would do instructor training. I actually got some free dvd in the mail that I ordered from Mermaids in Thailand, and it looks pretty cool. Does anyone know anything about this place.

I'm a Marketing major, I'll be finishing my degree this coming May!

I have done about 25 dives, and I'm going to be doing about 6-8 more next week when I'm in Aruba/Curacao. I know I have to do more dives, but since I'm in school and working full-time when I'm not, it's a pain to drive up to Mich and such. I was thinking about doing the whole "schibang" at once (much likes the ones in Thailand you mentioned). Since I hate diving in colder water, I wouldn't mind instructing in a place like Thailand if thats where I would do instructor training. I actually got some free dvd in the mail that I ordered from Mermaids in Thailand, and it looks pretty cool. Does anyone know anything about this place.

Thailand is easy to make a living as an instructor. You can live on $10/day and that will leave you $2/day left over for beer. Of course some folks tip their instructor so you will be able to afford 2 beer.
Instructing in North America is not so lucrative though.

Welcome to the board
:admingreet:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom