Hi!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmysdevoted

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I aam julie and I am not a SCUBA diver. I porefer the Skin Diver route. I get laughed at alot, and i get ridiculed even by my husband who says Skin diving is not real diving. I have to have a regulator. so its been an uphill battle for me.
I found out that NAUI has a skin diver cert and a Skin diver instructor course.
There is one shop that does it here but they never contacted me back, I guess I have to press the point.
I was at a few other boards that thought the same thing. Its kind of embarassing now to even say Skin Diver.

So. I am julie, wife , mom and doll designer. I live on 28 acres and love my country life. we are getting ready for our entries into the fair this year.. busy until the 26th!

julie

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

Not everyone feels comfortable underwater ... it's not for everyone. Unless they really want to overcome the certain thing that keeps them from diving and face it head on and work it out. I knew a few that did that. The one that I'll never forget was a lady that had a fear of the water. After taking swiming lessons too she was an advanced swimmer then she turned to diving now with an AOW and Rescue she tells everyone nothing is impossible, if you try!

All dive boats take "skin divers" also.

Being a good skin diver provides the bast base from which to build SCUBA skills, so should you decide later to persue a SCUBA Cert you will be way ahead of the game and may find it easier than you think. If not thats okay too. Do whats comfortable and enjoy the water. I would encourage at least an intro course with a GOOD instructor if you haven't tried it already. You might be surprised. If you dont like it you dont like it. Its all supposed to be fun no matter how you do it.

i am always trying, when hubby goes to his classes i try, and at home when he dives i try.. i just prefer breath hold ability.
someone once told me its the size of the regulator. so i try different sizes, i never give up. I just prefer being breath holding.. not to anything past 33 feet.. i did that and came out in the boat zone!

julie

Welcome to The Board! To corroborate Bob Vs story above...I grew up as a child terrified of "the water". I was/am a strong swimmer but being in water over my head scared me like mad. What was really sad is that I loved being around the ocean so much but my phobia kept me from exploring it. I pretty much kept to the topside activites like mountain biking & backpacking. It wasn't until I moved here to FLA that I decided that it was time to get on with it ~ I met my dive instructor, got comfortable & gained confidence; now I can't get enough of the life aquatic... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom