Like chum to the sharks....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Proteome

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I couldn't help but notice a huge and statistically significant difference in "Views" and "Responses", to newbie-greetings posts from female-sounding names versus male ones. Just looking at today's posts, "Nina" and "Anya" are quite popular, whereas I'm sitting here in the dark all by my lonesome with 3 Views and 0 responses. LOL.

Ah well, human nature is the same above and below the waves, on Net and off, and I guess it still is a male-dominated sport and board. Enjoy.

BTW, hello and welcome to Anya, Nina, Chile and all my fellow noobs, male and female alike.

- Prot

Well, one post is a week old and the other is four days old and contains a plea for help. Since your OP is only a few hours old and you aren't asking for something specific, I'd say your claim of sexism is a bit premature.

Welcome to SB, be careful what you wish for. :wink:

Thanks for the clarification, 24940 (May I call you "24" for short?). I wasn't complainin', just observing and musing, but your point is taken.

(Having been in sci/tech fields for a number of years, I've seen the eager swarming behaviors in other online and offline forums. Heck, I've participated -- before I met my girlfriend. If I called it wrong this time, no offense meant).
Cheers,
Prot

Hi and welcome

I don't browse this forum often (look at number of posts, more a reader than a poster) but I did notice Anya's as it was entitled "new and nervous", and although I am getting close to 400 dives (still a new diver compared to some I know), I remembered how I felt during my course.

Your's well, the title was interesting, so I paid a visit... :wink:

Anyway, this is a great board to choose, lots of valuable experience and knowledge out there, I know I find it makes me assess my own skills and knowledge which can only be a good thing :)

welcome.. hey Im new and actually Im so busy browsing all the informative threads that I cant possibly even respond to every new person.. lol..

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

Well I can tell you 24940 and myself greet everyone equal!

Hi and welcome

I don't browse this forum often (look at number of posts, more a reader than a poster) but I did notice Anya's as it was entitled "new and nervous", and although I am getting close to 400 dives (still a new diver compared to some I know), I remembered how I felt during my course.

Your's well, the title was interesting, so I paid a visit... :wink:

Anyway, this is a great board to choose, lots of valuable experience and knowledge out there, I know I find it makes me assess my own skills and knowledge which can only be a good thing :)

You can't have close to 400 dives and be considered new to some ... or anyone :) Your such a kidder ... lol

Welcome to SB. I look forward to seeing around!!

Back
Top Bottom