yet another NOOB . . . w/?s (DUH)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How much do I need to worry about using a true cold-water reg in at least the warmer months in Puget Sound?

How stupid is buying a brand new (NewOldStock) AL Fusion BC? for $200 or so?

Nuff4now

Cheers.
TSL

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

Here is a report that might help

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced its new regulator pick. In the June issue of Undercurrent, we wrote about NOAA's new rules and regulations for government divers in response to the death of two Coast Guard divers in Alaska last summer. One major change was giving the boot to all regulators Coast Guard divers had previously used for cold-water diving. After testing of multiple regulators, NOAA found Oceanic's Delta IV to be the most reliable.

"It consistently came up first for meeting all our criteria, and it won't freeze up in cold water," says Lieutenant Eric Johnson of the NOAA Diving Program. The Delta IV is an environmentally sealed diaphragm regulator and its first stage has Oceanic's Dry Valve Technology, designed to stop moisture and contaminants from entering and to prevent corrosion of internal components. NOAA bought 350 of the regulators and now requires its 500 divers to use that model when diving in water temperatures of 50 degrees or less. Johnson says the Navy's experimental dive unit is using them, too. The Delta IV is also commercially available for sport divers; Oceanic's suggested price is $570.

Cold-water divers should definitely invest in a good regulator that won't freeze up underwater. Two people died last April because of that problem. Jason Balsbough and Daniel Frendenberg, both age 21, and Sherry Eads, 43, went diving in a quarry in Gilboa, Ohio, where the water temperature was 38 degrees. Another diver called 911 to report the divers were down. Balsbough had regulator problems but was able to surface by himself. Frendenberg and Eads were too deep and their regulators were too iced for them to breathe.

Puget Sound summer temperatures are generally 50 degrees or more, and I don't believe anybody thinks you have to have an environmentally sealed reg for those temperatures. My two regulator setups are an Aqualung Titan LX and two Scubapro MK25/S600s. Neither is considered a cold water regulator, and both have served me very well through three years of very active Puget Sound diving.

BTW, if you are in fact a new diver in the Sound and ever want to go out with somebody who knows some of the sites, shoot me a PM. Diving with new divers is one of my particular pleasures.

0112.gif
Howdy and Welcome to SB.com!

Wow, big questions, good answers. As far as the BC, I cannot comment on that one. Try our BC forum...

Click Forums at the top to start checking all the choices, and try our :search: feature. Hope you enjoy your time here. Click my Username to PM me if I can help? Helpful Hint: I have UserCP bookmarked as the page I go to first when I come onto SB.

thnks1agan.gif
don :cowboy:
[c]
f6.gif

[/c]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom