I'm thinking about checking out for awhile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom319

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, I've about had enough of sitting in a cube day after day and I would like to get my professional OWSI. I've been reading about mermaids in Thailand but I am open to other areas anywhere in the world that has great training and great diving that will allow me to get a job in the industry. So, is memaids the place to go? Should I look elsewhere? Any thoughts, ideas would be appreacited...

Tom

welcome aboard Tom go for your dreams. Life is to short not to.

Why go to Thailand to do your OWSI when there are lots of great places here?

GO TO THAILAND TOM, YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!!!!!Let me know if you need some introductions.

Q

Thanks for the inputs. Why Thailand. Well, mermaids, seems to have a pretty extensive internship program where you get to practice what you learn. Where could I go in the US to accomplish this? Or please let me know if there are other organizations that will allow me to do the same.

Q - if you have any introductions or insights please feel free to contact me, many thanks.

Tom

Hey Tom, good on ya for getting out and doing IT!!! I was on Koh Tao for 5 months and paid about $500 a month to room about 200 feet from one of the most incredible beaches I've ever seen (it could have been cheaper). Everything is cheaper and you are in paradise. My friend is going to get back to me as to other places you can go because from my understanding Pattaya is a dump. My first guess would be Ban's on Koh Tao, about 10 of my friends just completed their IDC course. I have friends on Koh Tao and Khao Lak (on the Similan side). I like Koh Tao better for everything (obviously) plus if you gig over there, you can work on the other side in season. When are you planning to leave and as a diver you will probably make it to those places anyway.

Q - thanks. Any additional ideas/input would be greatly appreciated. When am I thinking about going. Not sure yet, I want to scope it out pretty thoroughly before I commit to it. Thanks again.

Tom

If you want, you can talk to my friends already in Thailand who are instructors and DMs.

hi Tom

before you pick the OWSI for the beaches, price, company,see if you can find out how their students do on the PADI Exam, I have to say its a good idea to do the OWSI away from home I spent 2 weeks in the west of Ireland.
also consider where you want to teach if you are going to teach in cold water its a good idea to practice there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom