All new and Sea Sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bisonkhan

Reaction score
I've only gotten to dive once - but like most - I'm in love.
I love looking at the Ocean, Swimming, walking the beach. I would like to fish - but I get sea Sick something horrible. Outside of taking the right pills is there anything I can do - eat before... not eat...anything?

There are a ton of discussions about this, many in the Dive Medicine section.

A few of the basics:
If you are using pills start taking them the night before you dive to get the medication in your system.
Don't eat greasy foods, acidic foods/juices.
Don't eat anything that might have an unpleasant texture when it comes back up (nuts and carrots come to mind).
Have a nice bland breakfast (dry toast, things like that) and plenty of water to start your day, don't go on the boat on an empty stomach.
I eat some saltines before I get on the boat, immediately after I get on the boat, as soon as the boat starts moving and any time my stomach even THINKS about feeling queasy. Ginger snaps, candied ginger and peppermints are also used by people to keep their stomachs thinking of something other than being ill.
Make sure to stay hydrated.

BTW, you probably know dry heaves feel worse than actually vomiting. When you are seasick you're going to go through the heaving motion, eating some saltines and drinking some water or Gatorade as soon as you finish tossing the last batch takes the misery level down a notch.
Ber :lilbunny:

If you can manage to work on your balance and let the boat move underneath you, using your body to gimbal your head you won't get sick. Your brain also needs to understand that the boat is moving, not the world, so it's also a good idea to look at something stationary and far away, or the horizon from a place where you don't see the boat in your field of view, while you balance.

welcome aboard. I think ber rabbit covered everything nicely.

In general diving will not reult in motion sickness. Some situations like surge & kelp will but generally you are in control and fine.

I suspect that your question is boat centered and want to point out that there is a world of shore diving out there as well. I happen to get seasick and pretty much avoid boats and the side effects of remedies. The medicines do work if and when tou want to get out on a boat. YMMV.

Pete

Welcome!

Something I learned from my instructor.... get in the water! For whatever reason, sometimes our brains can't handle the motion when on a solid surface, even though the boat is moving. One of the students in my class was feeling sick so the instructor picked her up and threw her in! After a few minutes, she was fine, got out, donned her equipment and had a great dive. Needless to say, I learned something that day. Oh, we were anchored at the time so no fear of losing a student.

The other info is great too... and stay away from the diesel fumes... they can make you sick too!

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom