On a mission

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All

I'm 34, and just finished my PADI Rescue Diver course, though I can't officially finish it (or start the DiveMaster course) until I do 4 more dives.
The plan this weekend is to do those 4 dives somewhere between Belleville, Ontario (today), and Port Hope/Cobourg/Oshawa (Sat afternoon/Sunday).
If anyone happens to be in those areas, and looking for a quick blitz, please do message me :)

James

welcome aboard

The rush was to get the requisite 20 dives PADI wants before I finish rescue, and start divemaster.
I was thinking the Divemaster classes would be a good way to keep things active in my head through the winter.
Realistically though, I'm leaving it 'til next year, so that I can focus on the other things I have in my schedule.

The rush was to get the requisite 20 dives PADI wants before I finish rescue, and start divemaster.
I was thinking the Divemaster classes would be a good way to keep things active in my head through the winter.
Realistically though, I'm leaving it 'til next year, so that I can focus on the other things I have in my schedule.

I'm fairly new to diving also, with less than 20 dives you're probably overweighted and haven't figured out proper trim, etc etc yet. Take your time, there really is no rush. A good DM is going to have experience and show confidence through his diving. No reason to jump into a DM class with 20 dives... I'd say get at least 100 before thinking about that. How are you supposed to lead a dive and be responsible for other divers with only 20 something dives?

I believe that experience and education go hand in hand, and, as with most things in my life, I like to have the theory in my head to be able to practice with a goal in the water.
You're quite right about the over-weighting. I began my first open water dives with 32lbs, and have reduced it progressively to 24. More will come off over time.
I definitely don't intend to go leading dives as a tadpole myself :)
But what I have found in the past is that in the process of watching and helping others work on their skills (as would happen in the instructor-led openwater pool sessions), it makes me aware of my own shortcomings to see theirs.

Welcome to scubaboard!!

Go Dive Dive and Dive some more if you want to be a good DM. Just my opinion but you will be a better DM if you greatly exceed the minimum requirments.

I'm not trying to pick on you or be insulting but as in my case at 20 dives I didn't know enough to know how much I didn't know.

Back
Top Bottom