Dive boat abandonment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehallman

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any incidents recently of abaondmen, leavint the divers in the water for whatever reason. (Yes just like the movie Open Water). Let me know if you have heard of this and where.

This past year:

4 divers left in Komodo Indonesia
2 left at Sandals resort
2 left in Australia
1 left in Fiji this past week
I am sure there more and there are threads on this.

One diver was left in Southern California about 4 years back.

This past year:

4 divers left in Komodo Indonesia
2 left at Sandals resort
2 left in Australia
1 left in Fiji this past week
I am sure there more and there are threads on this.

Just a question here....

There are left and lost....
Lost= got taken by current or in high waves and didn't have proper signal devices, so a search was put on.
Left= boat failed to count them as returned and went back to port.

Just wondering if the above was separated into catagories?

I have been on our boat and watched another lds leave their diver. We radio'd and flagged them back. They would have just trotted on home. The boat was a 6 pack, not a cattle boat...

We saw a guy from a different LDS when we returned from our last dive, in moderate current. We had just stated back to the mother ship when we saw him. He had an SMB deployed and signalled 'OK' to us when we approached. Saw his boat in the distance (they were looking for him) and waved them over. So I guess this one would class as a 'lost' diver. I am surprised a small boat would fail to count divers back - that is a real failing.

Here are the ones I know about from earlier this year. Why do you ask for your first post?

3/6/2008 St Simmons Islands, GA. 1 diver Time in water: 3 hrs. Summary: 3 adult males diving from a 29' boat when one disappeared. Found by the Navy participating in the search.
4/3/2008 Mandurah, Australia. 2 divers. Time in water: 7 hrs Two divers came up from diving and their personal dive boat had drifted away. One ended up swimming ashore and the other clung to a navigation marker for four hours before being found.
4/26/2008 Seven Stars Pinnacle, Taiwan. 8 divers. Time in water: 60 hrs. 6 males, 2 females. Counter-currents. Dive boat looked in surface current direction, subsurface current carried them in the opposite direction. DM swam ashore after 40 hours and alerted the search crews. Found by helo due to camera flashes.
5/15/2008. Gulf of Mexico, New Orleans. 1 diver. Time in water: 3 hrs. Spearfishing. Spotted by passing boat. Relayed info to Coast Guard who rescued by helicopter.
5/23/2008. Whitsunday Islands, Bait Reef, Australia. 2 divers. Time in water: 19 hrs. Liveaboard, dove outside cove, caught in current. Came up 200 yds from boat and swept out to sea. Blew whistles, but wind blowing in wrong direction. Saw rescue helicopters several times but divers were not seen. Eventually seen by a helicopter.
5/31/2008 St Lucia Inlet, Ft Lauderdale, FL. 1 diver. Time in water: 22 hrs. Found by helicopter. Commercial solo diver on boat with buddy. 4-6 foot seas. He surfaced after a ten minute dive, saw the boat, continued diving. Came up and saw his boat being driven off by his friend to alert two fishing boats. With no way to signal, they could not find him in the sea state.
6/6/2008 Komodo National Park, between the islands of Sumbawa and Flores. 5 divers. Time in water approximately 12 hours before making it to an island. Total time missing: 48 hrs. DM and four divers. 1 male, 4 women. DM was a woman. They were diving in an area with 4 or 5 converging currents that can resolve with strong down currents.

Thanks for the detailed info...I am curious as to how often this happens, it happened to me and a group of divers a few weeks ago.

Does anyone know of a good attorney I could talk to about this incident, it happened in the Caribean, but I think the resort is based in the U.S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom