Newbe Used equip good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4boysdad

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi! I am in Ohio near Wheeling WV. I am in the middle of my OWD certification. Can't wait to get in. Is buying used equipment a good idea? I am looking forward to meeting new people and diving.

Welcome to the board. IMO, the answer is yes, no and maybe. :)

If you can find a good deal on reasonably new equipment in good shape from a known source then sure it can be a good buy, this is esp true of BC's. I really don't think it's a good idea for new divers to buy off Ebay, sure you can get some great deals but you can get burned badly as well. Most quality dive gear will last many years, I don't have anything less than 5 or 6 years old and I have a lot that is a lot older (my oldest reg is over 50yrs old and I still dive it). The trick is to buy good equipment at a good price. You also have to realize that you should have your gear serviced from time to time.....the exact timing is a huge debate and this is not the place for that debate...for now figure on using the maunufacturers recommendation of yearly service. Service is going to cost you between $75 and $100 for a regulator plus parts which can run anywhere from $20 to $80 depending on the regulator and how much the dive shop marks them up. Some will tell you to buy only new because of the warranty. Fact is, the parts (see above) are covered under warranty, the repair labor is not and if you miss the due date or don't have the correct paperwork your warranty is void anyway.

And let me go ahead and call BS on something you will likely hear. "Its life support equipment and you should never buy used life support equipment". Well it might be "life support equipment" but fact is we ALL dive with used "life support equipment", the only thing different is we were the ones to use it last. No doubt it needs to be well maintained and in good working order but the fact that someone else bought it new and you did not is simply no reason to believe it is somehow unsafe to use. However, if you do buy used gear I would strongly recommend you have it serviced by a good tech before taking it diving. And once it has been serviced, test dive it in a pool or confined water before heading off on a dive trip or off shore dive, just to make sure it's working up to par.....same goes for new gear .

Reguardless of what you decide, I would suggest you rent gear for a while and try different types and brands to get a feel for what gear you prefer before buying any gear, used or new.

There is used gear, and abused gear, and there is sight unseen stuff. Shopping for used gear is a risk, The item might be from an out of business company that you can never find repair parts for. You might be buying an item, discontinued, and no parts available, how, as a beginner, are you to tell?

Herman's advice above is written better than I could. Until you have a few years experience, the risk of throwing away your money is too great. With one exception, dive shops can buy at a big discount, Regulators, BC's and gauges, if they are used in rental for an agreed time period. My favorite dive shop, buys new rental gear every year, then in the winter, rebuilds every piece and sells it used to his students. . . ask your instructor if he can find this for you.

Herman's advice to "rent gear for a while and try different types and brands". . . is the best advice to get comfortable gear that will last you many years. Some divers buy new, at the suggestion of a dive shop employee, and spend too much, and wind up with poor fitting BC's poor fitting wet or dry suits and too complicated computers. A dive shop should be a friend to trust, many are. . . some not so well. Sounds like life.

Thanks Herman I believe I will try some different stuff and see what I like and don't like.

Mudhole making friends with the shop is good advice also. and I think I have a good one. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom