Yet Another New Chicago Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkSteffen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
All,

I discovered SCUBA this winter while in St. Lucia. I did one very quick dive with a local outfit that involved some pretty serious handholding (safety first!) and a really great intro class. I enjoyed it so much that deciding to get certified and explore this world was pretty much a no-brainer after my first scuba breath.

I am looking at purchasing equipment right now and will be posting questions to th equipment boards soon.

~Mark

Really? a BP/w vs. a BC...that's good to know...I was just looking into BC's Thanks for the redirect!!

As for split fins...I can't figure out why anyone would want these. It reminds me of trying to row a boat with a hole in the the oars. I've tried and it is NOT efficient.

-Mark

Hey Mark!,
Welcome to Scubaboard.
Just remember..... BP/w and no split fins and all else will be perfect.
PORBEAGLE

Welcome to SB.

I agree with the split fin advice. Depending on what type of diving you are doing, a backplate may or may not be the best choice.

Spend some time in the equipment forums (as you stated), some smart and informed purchases will save you money and frustration.

Have fun.

PH

Thanks PH! I notice you are from Michigan. Do you dive the lake? Can you make any wetsuit recomendations? Thoughts on attached vs. separate hoods? I see I can pay as little as $150 to $600 (and probably more) for the warmer ones. Is there significant bang for the buck here? I don't want to get cold.

welcome to the board mark...

as far as wetsuits i would say unattached hood because you can always get a hooded vest....

Hi Mark:
Welcome to the board. As you already tell, tons of free advice, and you'll find lots of opinions. Ask around. Listen. Read a lot. Take your time. Check things out. Yada yada yada. Better yet, come out with us this summer and dive like crazy.

Welcome to the board Mark. I second the BP/W and no split fins for equipment. Good luck with your class. Hope to meet you at the quarry or on Lake Michigan sometime. Local diving rocks!

Welcome to the board! Hope to see you at the quarries and on the lake this summer. Sounds like we could get some decent sized groups together from the Chicago locals here on the board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom