Introduction to James

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGuitarist

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi! I just joined here yesterday. I found this board when I googled how to keep my mask from fogging, I found a thread here, and decided to join.

Let me introduce myself. I am James. I am 13 years old.. I live in New York. I'm not really the average 13 year old.. my interests are serious photography, playing guitar (I use an Epiphone SG, if you care), snorkeling, water skiing and many other water activities. Also, I am kind of a Mac geek.

I don't scuba, but instead I snorkel. I have scuba'ed once, with my uncle, but that was no more than 10 feet off the shore. I use a 30 dollar snorkel and mask set from U.S Diver that I bought at Sports Authority. I've been into it for four years, and every year I need to purchase a new set because I get bigger. :wink:

I do really want to get into SCUBA though, though. Both of my uncles are into it, so I could learn from them. It would just be hard for me to get the money for the necessary equipment, since I am not yet old enough for a job and I hate asking my parents for money.

I snorkel at Lake Champlain in New York. I go up there every summer, as we have a place up there right on the lake.

Sorry about my really long post, but, thats an introduction.

I hope to become a good member here, it looks like a real nice community. :)

James

Hi James! Welcome to Scubaboard.

You should join this forum: Dive NY - ScubaBoard

It's a bunch of peeps in your neck of the woods and I'm sure you'd gather quite a bit of fun NY information (Dutch Springs - camping and such) with them.

Snorkel safe, Carmen

Thank You! I just sent a request to join it. I'm not in the NYC metro area, I actually live in Dutchess County, but it still looks like it will be a nice group to hang out in.

Hi James. Snorkeling is how a lot of us first caught this addiction :shakehead:

My kids were both awsome on and under the water, but had to wait till 10 yrs old to actually try diving. They were not patient about that wait either! :D

Go for it, but don't just rely on your uncles to train you, professional training and scuba certification are very important.:no:

Hi James,
So have you figured out how to keep your mask from fogging? I have had really good luck with spitting into it, rinsing it and then just keeping it on. My mask never fogs that way, until I take it off for a while, then the film dries and needs to be redone.
I also play guitar, I have a Taylor that I absolutely love.
When I first started diving, only about 4 months ago, I thought that the training was over rated and not really necessary, but after a few dives, I realized that the training is really essential and a lot of fun too.
Stay safe and have fun.

Hi James!

Sounds like we have a lot in common. I play guitar (own too many of them), enjoy photography, am a bit of a Mac geek, and am just getting into scuba. One big difference is that I'm old enough to be your grandfather at age 48! :)

Welcome, from another newbie...

Welcome James. As gypsyjim said, snorkeling is how most of us got into it. Hook up with some locals and go out. I'm sure there is a DM around who would take you to some cool snorkeling spots. Also, a club or local dive shop may let you work a little for lessons. Just hang in there and see what happens.

BTW, Gibson ES 335TD and a Guild S60D. And I'm a Linux geek at 42:D

Keep us posted.

welcome James. I too am from NY (long island) and am new to SCUBA. have you discussed your desire to learn to dive with your parennts? If not, why not talk to them. They may surprise you and be very supportive. If not when you are older, you will have something to work for!!
welcome to scuba board!

Back
Top Bottom