Hello from Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaJC

Reaction score
Just wanted say hello to all the great member of this board. I just joined recently and have already found lots of great info. I got my OW this May but wont be able to dive much this summer. My wife and I are expecting our first child soon. I am looking forward to talking with you all.

Welcome to the boards!

Just wanted to say welcome, Sorry you won't get to dive this sumer but congradulations on your child! =-)

Thanks Gunner. We are both very excited about our first child. Hmm wonder how old he has to be before he can take his first SCUBA class.

Sorry to hear you won't be able to dive this summer, but a new child is definately worth it! When the baby arrives, maybe you can learn to hold him or her in one arm while you type postings to Scubaboard with the other hand.

Good luck and congratulations.

scubaJC once bubbled...
Thanks Gunner. We are both very excited about our first child. Hmm wonder how old he has to be before he can take his first SCUBA class.

In answer to your question:

I believe most agencies have children's programs, I'm familiar with PADI's programs. With PADI and parental descretion of course, a child can go in a pool to a depth no deeper than 6 feet at 5 years of age to get a chance to experience breathing underwater, the program is called Bubblemakers.

When the child turns 8 they can participate in a more formalized program called AquaTeam, which comprises of "aquatic missions" designed as building blocks to improve underwater skills and comfort in the water. It is limited to 12 feet in a pool (or other confined water).

Finally a child may begin a scuba class to receive their Junior Open Water Diver certification at 10 years of age.

A standard Open Water Diver certification may be obtained at age 15.

Welcome to the board. nice to hear from another diver!:wink:

SSI; The agency that I was certified through has a program called Scuba Rangers. I know because I have two nephews who became very anxious about Scuba when their Dad and I were certified together. Scuba Rangers is for those who are between 8 and 15 years old. I understand that it is for pool dives only, but allows those in the program to learn very valuable scuba lessons.
Dave
p.s. Congrats on the baby. Mine are both grown and gone now. The time at home will go by quickly so enjoy it while you can.

"Hmm wonder how old he has to be before he can take his first SCUBA class."[/QUOTE]

Old Thread!

Howdy Rat,

This thread is over a year old, and I wonder how you stumbled across it. If you're having any difficulties in navigating the board, let me know, and I'll see what I can do do help...?

Back
Top Bottom