Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Are there any sharks in Mauritius?!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49

Are there any sharks in Mauritius?!

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning to dive in Mauritus next April, does anyone know how likely it is that we'll bump into a shark or two? We are DESPERATE to see some sharks after 4 years of diving and I have heard that there are sharks in mauritius, I just wondered if anyone had any shark experience in Mauritius. I know it's impossible to guarantee sightings but a 'good chance' is good enough for me!
    Thanks,

Laura

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Hi Laura,
    Sharks are amazing creatures mate!!!I have had the pleasure of working and diving with sharks in Australia for many years.Awesome!!!
    I now live in Mallorca, Spain running a small business with my wife Bea. Ondine Escape S.L. is the name of the business.
    If you are interested in sharks and more so than simply seeing them in the water, then check out our website and have a look at the PADI distinctive specialty I made last summer...its pretty cool.
    As for Mauritius I suggest you go to sharksaver.com or sharkangels.com and ask the team there...very cool people!!
    Enjoy and happy shark searching
    Brad Robertson

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Hi Laura,

I moved to Mauritius about two years ago and dive here regularly, but rarely see any sharks. That being said, there is a dive site called "shark pit" on the north side of the island that was renowned for the number of sharks there, but due to a number of factors this is no longer the case. You can dive there and you will have a good chance of maybe seeing a shark or two, but not in the "large" numbers that people experienced in the past.

Good luck!!!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    Hi Bunks,

Thanks very much for your post, it's good to get some insider info! It's a shame that there aren't the large number of sharks in Shark Pit that I presume used to be. In all honesty we would just love to see A shark of some sort, we've had the worst luck after diving numerous times in Egypt and Mexico (I know neither of these places are renowned for shark diving in particular but we thought we may be lucky enough to see at least one or two as heard reports in the past that they can frequent the areas) so if we're lucky enough to just see one in Mauritius then we will leave satisfied!

We're hoping to dive Fiji next year so if all else fails then we'll always have that - although am beginning to think they are avoiding us wherever we go!!

If you can recommend any dive sites you think are worth visiting whilst we're there that'd be great.

Many thanks,

Laura

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Egypt seems pretty good for shark spotting at the mo

I really enjoy diving the south east side of Mauritius - sharks or no sharks, still some good dives and Mauritius is small enough to get around quite a bit
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

Tech Instructor
    Go Red - Support SB!

PADI/SSI/BSAC/ANDI/TecRec
    Tec/Advanced Sidemount,Trimix,
    Technical Wreck Instructor

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    There's one way you can definitely see sharks in Mauritius:

Mauritius Cuisine
    Chinese Cuisine
    Towards the latter part of the 19th century, Chinese immigrants began to arrive in Mauritius, many coming from the Cantonese region. Cantonese cuisine is characterized by the freshness of its ingredients and the lightness of the sauces. Even though the Chinese population of Mauritius is one of the smallest ethnic groups, their food is well represented in many restaurants on the island. Chop Suey, fried rice, egg rolls, and even shark fin soup are some of the delicacies you can find in Mauritius.
    Happy Valley Seafood and Sharkfin Restaurant Mauritius
    Happy Valley Seasfood & Sharkfin Restaurant | Mauritius Restaurants