Are there any sharks in Mauritius?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LauraSeward

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning to dive in Mauritus next April, does anyone know how likely it is that we'll bump into a shark or two? We are DESPERATE to see some sharks after 4 years of diving and I have heard that there are sharks in mauritius, I just wondered if anyone had any shark experience in Mauritius. I know it's impossible to guarantee sightings but a 'good chance' is good enough for me!
Thanks,

Laura

Hi Laura,
Sharks are amazing creatures mate!!!I have had the pleasure of working and diving with sharks in Australia for many years.Awesome!!!
I now live in Mallorca, Spain running a small business with my wife Bea. Ondine Escape S.L. is the name of the business.
If you are interested in sharks and more so than simply seeing them in the water, then check out our website and have a look at the PADI distinctive specialty I made last summer...its pretty cool.
As for Mauritius I suggest you go to sharksaver.com or sharkangels.com and ask the team there...very cool people!!
Enjoy and happy shark searching

Hi Laura,

I moved to Mauritius about two years ago and dive here regularly, but rarely see any sharks. That being said, there is a dive site called "shark pit" on the north side of the island that was renowned for the number of sharks there, but due to a number of factors this is no longer the case. You can dive there and you will have a good chance of maybe seeing a shark or two, but not in the "large" numbers that people experienced in the past.

Good luck!!!

Hi Bunks,

Thanks very much for your post, it's good to get some insider info! It's a shame that there aren't the large number of sharks in Shark Pit that I presume used to be. In all honesty we would just love to see A shark of some sort, we've had the worst luck after diving numerous times in Egypt and Mexico (I know neither of these places are renowned for shark diving in particular but we thought we may be lucky enough to see at least one or two as heard reports in the past that they can frequent the areas) so if we're lucky enough to just see one in Mauritius then we will leave satisfied!

We're hoping to dive Fiji next year so if all else fails then we'll always have that - although am beginning to think they are avoiding us wherever we go!!

If you can recommend any dive sites you think are worth visiting whilst we're there that'd be great.

Many thanks,

Laura

Egypt seems pretty good for shark spotting at the mo :dance3:

I really enjoy diving the south east side of Mauritius - sharks or no sharks, still some good dives and Mauritius is small enough to get around quite a bit

There's one way you can definitely see sharks in Mauritius:

Mauritius Cuisine
Chinese Cuisine
Towards the latter part of the 19th century, Chinese immigrants began to arrive in Mauritius, many coming from the Cantonese region. Cantonese cuisine is characterized by the freshness of its ingredients and the lightness of the sauces. Even though the Chinese population of Mauritius is one of the smallest ethnic groups, their food is well represented in many restaurants on the island. Chop Suey, fried rice, egg rolls, and even shark fin soup are some of the delicacies you can find in Mauritius.
Happy Valley Seafood and Sharkfin Restaurant Mauritius
Happy Valley Seasfood & Sharkfin Restaurant | Mauritius Restaurants

411877.jpg

Hello! my husband and I are traveling to Mauritus next October. We have dived in different places in the world (Similan islands, Hawaii, Red sea, Sumatra, Spain, Croacia...). I know there are a few places recommended (i can't remember now the names..) but I would like any recommendation from people who have been there. We don't have any special intereset about seeing sharks ( in fact I wouldn't like to..but hey, im in their habitat, it that happens I will try to enjoy..lol) but general marine life and not hard divings, we prefer relaxed dives with small but plenty of fishes rather than big currents and big fishes. Any advices from you the experts? Thanks!!!!!!

Try Just Diving around Grand Baiie - my 2 cents - avoid the flic En flac area all together unless you are into crowds. I liked being based around Mahebourg for the mellow vibe topside - the tiny sampling I got of Mauritius diving and pics from friends who spent more time and found Rhinopias etc...lots of small fish and little current inside the lagoon at the commonly dived spots. Easy diving in general.

Ironically the op I dived with in nearby Reunion had not seen a shark in 6 years. A quick Google will show you why I find that ironic as you should stumble across the doco about reunions attacks. All beaches in Reunion have shark warning signs..but no sharks.

I did see a leopard shark in Madagascar....if you absolutely positively have to have sharks..go to Rangiroa in French Polynesia etc.

Back
Top Bottom