Hi! from NC, new to diving and the board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgking2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello folks,
I am brand new to SCUBA and was hoping for some words of advice. Currently, I am in the middle of getting open-water certified and will immediately continue on to Nitrox and other classes and dives until I achieve advanced open-water. I have purchased a DUI 30/30 drysuit and wanted to know what undergarments could be purchased through regular chains or online that dont cost $600. Has anyone found a suitable undergarment from Bass Pro / Dicks Sporting Goods, or similar? I was thinking about standard thermals which would probably suffice for insulation on a non-insulating drysuit, but it would look kinda silly if you unsuited in the open :dork2:. Does anyone here have any ideas that would work AND allow one to maintain some dignity? The waters I am concerned with are from NC to Florida during Aug/Sept and not down for too long at any great depth during these early training dives. Eventually I will be able to afford the proper DUI undergarments after I recover from my initial investments, so I just need a decent temporary fix.

Thanks for your help!
-Shane

Welcome to the board Shane, where are you at in NC?
While "proper" undergarments are surely a good thing, there are alternatives, esp if you are not talking about very cold water or long deco dives. I use standard thermal underware under a pair of lined sweat pants, a cotton sweatshirt and wool socks. So far this has done fine for 45 and above water....any colder than that and I am out of there anyway. :) For long long deco dives than might not cut it but for 50 deg, 60 minute long quarry dives it does fine.

Thanks Herman! Good stuff there. I am in the Charlotte area. I think the thermals and sweat pants sound good, I will give it a shot. I am just not sure about the cotton sweatshirt. I figured cotton would get sweaty and stay wet as opposed to something that might wick it away from your body. Any thoughts on an alternative material or do the thermals under it prevent that from being an issue for you?

Thanks again.
-Shane

Are you only diving springs a quarry's??? Those will be the only places you might need a dry suite for the locations and times you mentioned. I was in Fantasy Lake in a 3mm farmer john last week and was perfectly comfortable. I don't know of anyplace at the coast that you would need a Dry suit during those months. I would just save up and buy the right undergarments when the season hits. You have several months. Now to answer your question check at REI or Padagonia I use a lot of their ultra thin and super warm undergarments under my jumpsuits in the winter and they work great!! No bulk and tons of warmth.

Welcome to SCUBA BOARD and to dry suit diving you can get a good base layer at bass pro for a real inexpensive cost the sweat pants /shirt layer would work as long as thy are made out of polyester and I would get some silk socks as a base layer and then a goog thick paire of woole socks . I spent under $250.00 for all of my thermal geaqr witch inclood a whites thearmal MK2 FARMER JOHN JUMP SUIT, my base layer (from BassPro ), and sockes from SUN AND SKI, and sweet pants that my wife made for me .we bought some polyester cloth and took a pire of old sweet pants apart for a pattern.

Back
Top Bottom