About to Embark on my DM internship, 2 weeks to be there and have sinus infection :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pholife

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

I am about to embark on my Dive Master internship. Currently I have my PADI Advanced. I have arranged for a great DM internship in this islands of Cambodia and hopefully work my way slowly to getting my IDC cert :D

I'm very excited about this opportunity, community there seems great and I feel confident in the dive shop to train me well.

Well anyways, I just returned back to Ho Chi Minh City after a trip to research the dive scene and set up an internship for the upcoming season... What happens, I return home and come down with a sinus problem. I have been on anti-biotics now a week and taking regular does of vitamin c and lots of green tea. But I am still blocked up and headachey :depressed:

I have had a bad squeeze before because of a sinus issue and DO NOT want to start my DM on the wrong foot.

Does anyone have any ideas? I will see a doctor here on Friday just for advice because its so cheap here...

Any advice would be wonderful.. natural or pharmaceutical.... I'm trying to stay indoors with out a/c to keep away from the nasty pollution of the city.

Thanks,

Greg :blinking:

Greg, welcome to ScubaBoard!

It sounds like you've got the medication part of your treatment plan in hand, so maybe a home remedy will provide a little relief. I get sinus, and it sometimes takes forever to drain. What helps me is inhalation therapy because it thins the mucus and lets it descend more easily. You get steaming hot water, put it in a bowl, put a towel over your head and the bowl and breathe the steam. You can do this several times a day. You can also mix in essential oils like eucalyptus or camphor to help relieve the stuffy feeling. If you can't find essential oils where you are, you can use tiger balm or similar, which contains camphor. Put a smear of it under your nose and then breathe the steam. Or just breathe the steam by itself. Good luck!

Oh man i feel for you. the week before i went for my OW the same thing happened to me.
you seem to have the basics covered. one thing i will mention is making a lemon drink. you will need boiling water, sliced lemon, couple of teaspoons of honey.
method: chuck em all in a jug or big cup/mug which ever you feel like, give it a stir and enjoy.
hopefully it helps, my mum always used to make it for me, mums are good at that stuff.

Since moving to Mexico 4 years ago, I have been getting sinus infections at an amazing rate. One thing I find really helps is a neti pot. Similar idea to post #2. Put @ 1 cup warm water and 1/8 tsp salt in the pot (small container with a short spout, a single cup teapot would work) turn your head sideways (ear to shoulder) then pour the saline solution through your nose. It helps to rinse the bugs out. I do it daily when I feel good, and up to 4-5 times a day when I am infected. Good Luck!

All good suggestions above. I have had lots O' sinus infections.

I am not sure of the schedule of your DM internship, but..if I were the instructor, I would focus on classroom stuff if one of my students were having some ear/sinus issues. At least for a day or two if needed. I had to postpone alot of my in water skills due to a bug I picked up last winter here.

Good luck and have fun.

Hi Greg

Garlic capsules are a help. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and has properties that help break down mucas. I have suffered in the past with sinus problems and it does help. However it may take a few weeks of taking them regularly before you feel the benefits. Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom