Hello from Ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KayRudi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings All,

I am new to this sport and I am loving it!! Plus, I am so glad I stumbled onto this site! I have had my open water certification for less than a week and I am already planning what scuba gear to purchase and what trips to plan. I am really excited about scuba diving. I have always snorkled but when I took my first breath underwater, that is something I will never forget!

I am planning more PADI training for the very near future. So any suggestions on training or places to dive for a beginner are welcome. I am looking forward to this new adventure. :)

welcome aboard!!!!!
there is a ton of info here!
lots of advice,some good,some bad,but usually a lot of it!!!!!!
join in!!!!!
have fun learning is my advice-always!
yaeg:cool2::

People vary a lot in what they like and where they like to go. I'll tell you my preferences on some things, and where I like to go. Your mileage may vary.

1.) I use a Sherwood Avid 2x weight-integrated BCD, an Atomic Aquatics B2 reg., an Oceanic VT3 wrist computer (there's now a VT4), and SeaSoft Sunray boots (which look somewhat sneaker-like & are comfortable and sturdy enough for walking on iron shore when shore diving in Bonaire).

2.) I'd like an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt computer. Intuitive, rechargeable battery you don't need to replace, very nice. Also around $1,200 & a console computer. Some people like wrist computers, especially with wireless transmitters for their tanks. Air-integrated dive computers are more expensive but nice to have. A computer that logs your dives & has the ability to download dive info. to a computer (often via a $100 proprietary cable) is also good. Get a nitrox-capable computer; you'll likely someday dive nitrox. A cheaper but reputable console computer is an Oceanic Data Max Pro 2.1.

3.) A reputable online retailer is ScubaToys.com, I think they give members of this forum a discount (but you must mention it!), and they have some sweet package deals on gear. They may let you substitute/customize items in a package if you contact them. Last year my brother-in-law got 'geared up' around Black Friday with them for a wonderful price.

4.) I love shore diving in Bonaire. You can boat dive there but I haven't. Here's a link to an old trip report of mine, which has a link to an earlier one, to give you some idea what it's like. For your first trip, going with a group is nice, while you learn your way around a bit. The key here is diving freedom; you can drive around the island diving when, where & with who you wish. No 'be at the dock & on the boat by 7 a.m. or miss out.' Also great for people very prone to get sea sick on boats.

7.) If you prefer boat dives & bigger animals (Bonaire doesn't have a lot of big stuff), Cozumel is very popular. Mostly drift diving, letting the current carry you. In Cozumel, I like Living Underwater with Jeremy Anschel, but there are other reputable op.s, such as Dive with Allison, Aldora & more. Living Underwater has the big 120 cf steel tanks that let air hogs like me stay down longer.

8.) If seeing sharks is a big deal for you, consider the Bahamas, but the water's chillier in winter, so if like me you don't like wearing wet suits, plan for a summer trip. A live-aboard trip on the AquaCat should be great. The company also operates Blackbeard's, often called 'camping at sea,' which is cheaper. AquaCat seems to be the pricier, premium line.

9.) In the U.S. there are different places to dive, but I keep hearing about West Palm Beach and also the Florida Keys. These places, like Cozumel, you'll probably stay in a hotel, and each day ride out with a 'charter boat' for a 2 tank dive, be back maybe early afternoon, and mess around in town.

So, charter boat/hotel vs. live-aboard vs. shore diving. For a less dive-centric vacation, take a cruise & make some of your port stop excursions dive trips (typically 2 tank dives).

There is so much more to tell, and to debate about it. Some people like back plate/wing BCDs. People can argue for days about using split fins vs. others.

Richard.

P.S.: What's right for me may not be for you, but given the huge range of types of gear, brands & models, I thought maybe at least some specific items & places to consider might help you get started.

Bear in mind, I am a cheapskate. Took me a while before I bought alot of my stuff.

In Ohio, we have about a month of wetsuit diving left. I would try diving locally. Talk to people. See what you like or don't like. You can rent some equipment which may help you in your buying decision.

Check out the subgroups here on SB such as Drive to Dive and the GLWC under Central United States.

There are at least six very diveable quarries in Ohio. Obviously, the shallower ones will be the warmest in October.

Thank you all for the advice. I will definitely be hanging out on this site! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom