Hi from the Milder North (Vancouver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t1n_2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all.

Just recently started diving in Dec 2011 at Raja Ampat and I got hooked (well my whole family did)! It was supposed to be more of a snorkelling trip but seeing the reefs there tempted my whole family to try diving. Now 4 months later after our first ever dive, my dad and my 3 brothers are PADI Advanced Open Water certified and going crazy with finding our 1st dive kits! Dad's set up is All Scubapro gear (Knighthawk, Mk11T/S555W, SeaWing Nova, Uwatec Galileo).

Now i'm hoping to get my own gear as well which is partly why i ended up spending hours on Scubaboard for research. I'm also hoping to find other Vancouver divers out there! I'm hoping to try diving in Vancouver since I'm doin my undergrad here.

btw, if anyone knows where to find the Zeagle Express Tech in Vancouver, please give me a heads up!

Best Regards to All,

Justin

Welcome to scubaboard..

I think that is a plan for most dive ops is to offer snorkeling. When you get to see the reefs ( and their divers playing around the reefs) you will want to get down to the reefs as well. Although possible while snorkeling, most people will not be able to freedive 30 to 60 feet and stay long enough to see anything. so they just kick ( yes i meant to say kick, they are not finning), around on the surface, while admiring the things well below them.
I always snorkel a bit while diving somewhere and work on my dive depth and breath holding. I want to be able to dive to 60ft soon on a freedive

Welcome to scuba diving and to scubaboard. We are happyto have you.
Do you dive near home? I know the water is colder but youlive in one of the best areas in the world for diving. There are dive clubs anddive shops near you that organize dives almost every weekend.
You may find a LDS that will make you a good price onequipment. The shop (not in your area) that I deal with gives me a better priceon equipment than I have ever found online.

The Edge in North Van carries Zeagle gear. They also have a shop dive every Sunday morning. Meet at the shop at 9 am, all levels of divers are welcome. The Western Canada forum here is a great place to find folks that welcome new divers to join them. I think you'll find Whytecliff somewhat different than Raja Ampat.
Andrew.

Justin,

Welcome to Scubaboard; there is a little something for everyone. Congrats to the whole family on the new dive certs...

~Michael~
:balloons:

Welcome!

Thanks for all the warm welcome folks.

I'm definitely going to try the cold waters of BC this summer holidays. Gonna be taking summer courses so i figured why not try the diving since i'll have some free time then.
Seems like there are quite a bit of BC divers in scubaboard. Glad to know that there are others out there also living and diving in BC.
Funny thing is that i actually met up with some UBC students while in Bali during the UBC reading break. If you happen to be the ones i talked to, feel free to send me a pm :)

Thanks again all for the warm welcome.

Enjoy BC diving. Take it easy on your first dives as buoyancy in a thick wetsuit or drysuit will take a bit to get used to.

Safe diving.

Crush

Thanks Crush! I will definitely heed your advice in taking it easy on the 1st dives. Gonna first take the Dry Suit Orientation. Plus i think the cold will somehow affect my diving as well since its gonna be my 1st time diving in such a cold environment.,

Btw, correct me if i am wrong, Crush is the turtle in ur display pic from Finding Nemo right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom