Here is a cool local Dive in Bridgeport CT.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2A, I used to have my boat right off of the Brick Condos half way to Fairweather, lots of moorings to be recovered up the harbor a bit. Also saw you did a film on the Brownstone, I was out on her years ago when she was still giving up a lot of china, in fact I took the Dr. Nick the State Archaeologists and Dave Porier of the Historic Preservation office to see the guy who found it collection of artifacts from it.

I dont think this is the same brownstone spot. There are a few. This was in seriously shallow water off St Marys by the sea. I too have talked to Bellantoni at Uconn. There is a ship I have been researching and writing a book about for the past 3 years. It has been quite the rollercoaster ride between dealing with the "Oh i had those numbers years ago, but never dove it divers" and "scrap metal hackerama divers" Its a slippery slope without a degree in marine archeology. I am all for preserving history but without private funding the majority of wrecks would never be located. I had offered Bellantoni a free ride out to this particular site to survey it but they are limited with time and funding. So i do the best i can alone.

Do you still dive?

Iphone 4 7 032.jpgThis is a picture of the browstone wreck I did the video of.

cool vid how deep was it? I was brought up in Ct but couldn't imagine diving there. Welcome!

Welcome to the board. If you can figure out who I am I will tell you exactly where 2 more small anchors are about 200 yards from there.... The frostbite guys couldn't tie a knot a couple weeks ago... Lol
although gildiver is not talking wreck he knows the area. Btw it is spelled fayerweather and it sounds like the mooring was in front of the norden club?

Welcome to the board. If you can figure out who I am I will tell you exactly where 2 more small anchors are about 200 yards from there.... The frostbite guys couldn't tie a knot a couple weeks ago... Lol
although gildiver is not talking wreck he knows the area. Btw it is spelled fayerweather and it sounds like the mooring was in front of the norden club?

Nope, a bit down the harbor, the red brick condos "The Anchorage" with the pool in the middle, 350 Grovers Ave. The condos have deeded mooring rights in the harbor, how that works with the city mooring plan now I don't know. When I had my boat there, I went out and spent a tank looking for lost moorings, found 3 or 4, bouyed them, dug two out, kept the good one and let Fayerweather have the rest. My boat only drew about 20" with the dagger board and rudder up so no one ever bothered me about my mooring. But getting out the the boat at low tied across the mud flat sucked.

As for the SS Norden, I was a member for about 12 years. It was a great last stop on early Saturday and Sunday mornings - park the car at the Norden, have a few last shots, walk the sea wall in Front of Chris Shays's old hose, and get home. Fell off the sea wall a few times but luckily only onto the grass, never the 4' fall to the sand.

---------- Post added April 27th, 2012 at 03:35 PM ----------

The one I'm talking about is off of Southport, Noel named it the china wreck and "The Brownstone Wreck."

It was found by a diver who would go out in a small inflatable and just watch hid bottom plotter, when he saw a bump, he marked it and then dragged a magnet over it. If he pulled up any rust or iron he dove it. He found 3 or 4 wrecks that way.

I retrieved one mooring from there when I first found it. It was about 150 pounds and brought it to marine sports center and they got rid of it for me. I'm not sure I can recognize you from that picture as you know it's not that easy to see people underwater around here. Lol

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2012 at 12:40 AM ----------

There's another wreck off southport called the barrel wreck. I will be doing a video of that once the water gets a little warmer. it's in 60 feet of water and it's stacked barrels. Most of the barrels have nails and pot belly stove feet in them. I'm going to be doing a promotion for Noel in the near future. If anybody is on Facebook we have a page on there. We also have a page on YouTube.

Http://www.facebook.com/squalusmarinedivers

If you're interested you can like us and won't have to hunt for us on these forms.

Squalus Marine: FULL VIDEO ARCHIVE

If you click the above think you can see our latest videos. We are gearing up for season 2 with new cameras, new boats and (thankfully) new lights! We are also going to have a contest with $100 prize to the dive shop of your choice very soon.

So keep checking back. :)
Captain Denis

Back
Top Bottom