Hello All! Any Oldies Out There?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

latestartfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm 55 and retired, not by choice, but by this economy. Oh, well. I've always wanted to scuba dive (feel like I'm half fish). I can't believe after 20 years together I had never mentioned this fact to my husband, until a couple days ago. He's behind me 100% even though we don't have money to burn, but he thinks it will be good for me and get me out doing something I love, while getting some good water workouts.

Are there any other Oldies like me getting such a late start (hence my login ID) at diving?

I'm also interested in doing river diving, since I'm surrounded by them...

Welcome aboard here and hopefully in the water soon!!!

Since when is 55 old?!?! :D A great percentage of divers get started after 50, so join in the fun and get wet.
Hey there is a sub-forum here: Grumpy Old Divers for us "oldies".
Also check out our local forums here: SoCal and/or NorCal
I am assuming NorCal as you said you're surrounded by rivers but....? River diving is an art by itself, so start with calm water first and practice.

many of my dive acquaintances are well over 55...you are not behind the power curve at all :) welcome to the board and more importantly welcome to the world of diving!! I truly hope you learn to cherish and love the time in the water

--Ryan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

There's a bunch of us 'seasoned' adults out there scuba diving. Welcome.

Grumpy Old Divers

I'm in my 50's too. I didn't know how far I would get starting so late, but I have gotten progressively stronger, and now I am diving doubles.

Linda

I'm 55 and retired, not by choice, but by this economy. Oh, well. I've always wanted to scuba dive (feel like I'm half fish).

Are there any other Oldies like me getting such a late start (hence my login ID) at diving?

OLDIES!! Whazat, OLDIE??
My son is two years younger than you and just started his cert for OW because he couldn't stand seeing me doing something he doesn't.

WELCOME! Now go get wet...

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

55 years is the ' New " 30.

River diving Rocks!

Hi, it's good to know I've got company! I'm 57 with just 24 dives as a result of only one dive vacation (Turks & Caicos). I'm also landlocked in the middle of the Saskatchewan prairie. So I guess I'll be what you've got as one of your profile categories - a vacation diver. But I can live with that. I'm looking for a good spot for diving this November for a week, probably two. I was thinking I'd go to the Grand Caymans, but noticed a post that November is the worst time to go. Any suggestions? Lynne

I started diving at 58. It was in my bucket list for years, but family and schedules kept me from getting around to it. Only regret, I should have done it a long time ago.....

Enjoy, beware that diving is extremely addicting.

I started diving when I was 55, and am making up for lost time! A friend of mine just got certified last year at the ripe young age of 70. One is never too "old" to learrn something new. Welcome to the wonderful world of Scuba!!

Back
Top Bottom