Noobie McNooberton in SW FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smokin3000gt

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is Terry. :wavey: Last week my girlfriend and I took a trip to the Keys for some R&R and ended up going out on the scuba boat. Neither of us are certified so we snuba'd (first timers). It was an amazing new experience for sure but the hose started to feel like a leash. Needless to say we weren't home for long before checking out dive shops for certification. You probably won't see much of me as I plan on lurking and wearing out the search button for now but hopefully I'll be able to contribute after I gain some experience. Looking forward to getting to know you all! :cheers:

I plan on lurking and wearing out the search button for now but hopefully I'll be able to contribute after I gain some experience.
This is exactly what I am planning to do. Greetings from the other side of the peninsula! Are you a linguist?
:)

Thanks for the welcome, DMDave!

@ Chris, not quite
03.gif
. I've been reading and reading but still a ton of info to take in. Originally I was thinking I could get geared up for about $1000 but that seems to be less true the more I read. I am trying to get figure out a good noob package/starting point. I've seen some starter kits from Cressi for about $1000 but I'm not sure if Cressi is a 'Kmart' brand. If you find anything, please let me know! Or if anyone reading has any suggestions they would certainly be greatly appreciated! I know I need to start with the basics (OWC, mask, fins, boots, snorkel) before worrying about BC, Dive computers, ect but I am trying to price everything out because I will most likely be buying for my girlfriend too (if you gotta have a dive buddy, why not one who's pretty?)
04.gif

Anyways just trying to figure out how big of a pill I'm going to have to swallow.

Have you been on any dives yet Chris?

If you keep to quality used gear, then you should be able to get all your gear for under $1000 per diver.
If you mean $1000 for two divers, that would be difficult but not impossible.

Mask, Fins and Snorkel would come out to less than $150 per diver.
Regs with octo and SPG would be about $250.
BC $250.
Dive computer $250
Wetsuit $100

Grand total $1000

All of the above can be found on Ebay if you're patient and keep a sharp look out for good deals.

I got my daughter completely geared up for under that amount and her gear consists of the following:
Scubapro G250 with R190 octo and Scubapro SPG/Compass $250.
Scubapro wetsuit $35.
Scubapro Mira BC $75.
Scubapro Twinjet fins $45.
Suunto Zoop dive computer $250.
Scubapro mask and snorkel $60.
Catalina 60cf scuba tank $50 (used).
Plus misc (booties, gloves, weights) $100

I chose Scubapro because it is the brand that I prefer but there are many other good brands out there that I'm sure others will vouch for.

Extremely helpful, David! Thank you! I was figuring (hoping) $1k each for decent gear that won't need to be replaced immediately. I was a little weary of used gear as I won't know if it's been abused, taken care of, or if it needs serviced. I am leaning scubapro because I've heard great things about them and one of the highest rated LDS here (where we'll be getting certified) is a SP dealer but some of the prices are blowing me out of the water ($600-700 for BC, $500-600 for reg stage1/2 but those are some killer deals you got! I've got my eyes on ebay and craigslist now, especially since I have a price point or reference. Thanks again for info! There is hope for me yet :banana:

edit: Just found this. http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/spo/3339887128.html but I think I have some more homework to do before calling him.
If you keep to quality used gear, then you should be able to get all your gear for under $1000 per diver.
If you mean $1000 for two divers, that would be difficult but not impossible.

Mask, Fins and Snorkel would come out to less than $150 per diver.
Regs with octo and SPG would be about $250.
BC $250.
Dive computer $250
Wetsuit $100

Grand total $1000

All of the above can be found on Ebay if you're patient and keep a sharp look out for good deals.

I got my daughter completely geared up for under that amount and her gear consists of the following:
Scubapro G250 with R190 octo and Scubapro SPG/Compass $250.
Scubapro wetsuit $35.
Scubapro Mira BC $75.
Scubapro Twinjet fins $45.
Suunto Zoop dive computer $250.
Scubapro mask and snorkel $60.
Catalina 60cf scuba tank $50 (used).
Plus misc (booties, gloves, weights) $100

I chose Scubapro because it is the brand that I prefer but there are many other good brands out there that I'm sure others will vouch for.

After a million clicks and a bunch of reading, I think I've narrowed some things down. I would love to hear some opinions on the gear I'm looking at before I drop the hammer and buy.

BC for me - Oceanic Oceanpro Scuba BC 08.8307 with reviews at scuba.com - $300

BC for her - Oceanic Hera from craigslist $295

Dive computer for both of us - Oceanic pro plus 2 - about $250-300. The large read out will be great for her, and I want to keep my the same to KISS. I also like the audible alerts for ascending too quickly and it looks easy to read/understand (for her and I)

Fins, mask, snorkel, boots, skin, ect I'll check out and buy from the dive shop.

Are those solid choices for starting out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom