New at Diving and need some advice on Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syfyfan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there, i just got certified in September and have some questions regarding wetsuits. of course, if possible, for now i would like to get one wetsuit to fill a couple of different needs, so need some help.

i live in Saskatchewan, Canada and plan to dive in the lakes here, but NOT in winter time. probably only June-september kind of thing. we are also taking a tript to Cozumel in March so need to possibly find one wetsuit to fill both needs. i was talked into buying a 2ml shorty, which is pretty much useless and doesn't even keep me warm in the pool.

we went to a scuba store on the weekend and i can get a 5ml full suit (bare-elastik) for $225 but i don't know if that's what i need. the lady there said that i could use that and then buy another 5 or 7 ml overlay type suit with a hood on it for another $200, but...?

Can i please get some guidance here? i'm also a bit worried becuase the size 12 is a TINY bit too big, but i can barely breath in the size 10. the lady at the store thought i needed the size 10, as it will get a bit bigger in the water but it felt pretty tight. like it was making it tough to breath. The only wetsuit that i have ever used in a Saskatchwean lake was a size 12 mens and it was terrible. i constantly had cold water rushing in through my neck so not fun.

any ideas?

thanks so much!

can't help too much, but don't get a suit you can't breathe in. Yes they do settle a little once some water gets under them, but if it is too tight it will cause you to breathe shallow and could cause some distress. When I did my open water I was in a suit 1 size too small and on the second dive I came up and felt like I couldn't breathe. I was a bit panicked. Once I got the front of my suit unzipped so my chest could expand I got better. THe next dives I had to leave the chest unzipped.
After that I moved up a size in suits and it is much better. It is still snug, but doesn't feel like I can't breathe. Once I get in the water I pull the seals open a little to let the water get under the suit and then it moves around and settles into place nicely.

On the other hand if the suit is too big then the water can move around in it too much and it wont keep you as warm. You might need to go to another brand of suit. I know my local store will order in a couple of sizes of suits for me to try before I buy depending on the brand.

Thanks for the reply, i appreciate it. it's frustating because i seem to be in between sizes so am not sure what to do. i may have to try another brand.

thanks again!

You could also try looking on Amazon or Leisure Pro for some wetsuits. I found my O'Neill wetsuit on sale for $100 on Amazon.

Also, perhaps a different brand would fit you better. If you are a 12 in Bare but it is a little loose, maybe the same size in a different brand would fit perfectly!

Hi there, i just got certified in September and have some questions regarding wetsuits. of course, if possible, for now i would like to get one wetsuit to fill a couple of different needs, so need some help.

i live in Saskatchewan, Canada and plan to dive in the lakes here, but NOT in winter time. probably only June-september kind of thing. we are also taking a tript to Cozumel in March so need to possibly find one wetsuit to fill both needs.
any ideas?

thanks so much!

One wetsuit for Cozumel and Saskatchewan...I have three combinations that I use JUST FOR BELIZE. :D

I think you're going to have to spring for at least two wetsuits.
A full three would be a safe bet for Cozumel....maybe....but you're Canadian so maybe your friends up there will laugh at you. If it's winter time here, use a hood too.
For the north....I have no idea. Dry suit would be a sure thing. Remember, getting cold while diving really sucks. Better to be a little warm. You can always flush water into the suit.

I have the same problem with suits fitting me so I have dove with a custom suit since I got out of my OW1 class.
Just spring for the custom suit it is not that much more expensive and the benifits are worth every penny (imo)
I use a 1/4" farmer john bottom and shorty, top ( i primaraly dive Southern California) and when i go to a warm water location and need any kind of wet suit i just wear the shorty top.
it works finr for me but everyone is different the last time i was in florida i did some cavern diving with a local guide and while I was just wearing a swim suit he was using a dry suit and thought i was crazy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom