Greetings from Seattle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seattlepaul1975

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all...just joined up. My wife and I are starting our SSI certification next week. Looking forward to being a member of the board and getting to enjoy some amazing times.

Seattle Paul,

Welcome to ScubaBoard ... the on-line gateway to Poseidon’s Realm. ScubaBoard has quite a few really good members from your neck of the woods - the Great North West. I am happy to hear that you and your wife are taking up diving…it is a fantastic sport that both of you can do together and also at each of your own paces.

Happy Bubbles,

~Oldbear~
:balloons:

Thanks!
Seattle Paul,

Welcome to ScubaBoard ... the on-line gateway to Poseidon’s Realm. ScubaBoard has quite a few really good members from your neck of the woods - the Great North West. I am happy to hear that you and your wife are taking up diving…it is a fantastic sport that both of you can do together and also at each of your own paces.

Happy Bubbles,

~Oldbear~
:balloons:

Paul, are you and your wife planning to try local diving? I hope so . . . we have some of the most amazing diving easily available to us in Puget Sound. Try the two threads I've linked at the bottom of this post for some photo samples of what we normally see on even simply shore dives.

A few pointers from an avid Puget Sound diver:

1. The weight of the gear is manageable. It's horrible at first; it doesn't take much time of hauling it around before it's just annoying, and not horrible.

2. It's possible to dive here and be warm. It takes an investment in good exposure protection. I am the world's worst cold weenie. I have about 750 Pacific Northwest dives. It can be done!

3. We are some of the luckiest divers in the world, because we can dive almost any day of the year. Yes, some sites have limits, and some weather will make certain places uncomfortable. But any day that you would really be willing to get out and dive, there is a place you can dive in the Seattle area.

4. New divers in our area are incredibly lucky, because there is such a huge and active local diving community. Nobody here needs to lack for a buddy! There are standing dives almost every weeknight somewhere, and weekends dives constantly being organized by clubs and by individuals. There are a lot of folks who like to take new divers under their wing -- I found my original diving mentor right here on ScubaBoard!

So enjoy your class, have fun with the grace of weightlessness, and I hope you are doing your checkout dives locally. Come back and let us know how it went!

Threads: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2043 http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19853

Paul, are you and your wife planning to try local diving? I hope so . . . we have some of the most amazing diving easily available to us in Puget Sound. Try the two threads I've linked at the bottom of this post for some photo samples of what we normally see on even simply shore dives.

A few pointers from an avid Puget Sound diver:

1. The weight of the gear is manageable. It's horrible at first; it doesn't take much time of hauling it around before it's just annoying, and not horrible.

2. It's possible to dive here and be warm. It takes an investment in good exposure protection. I am the world's worst cold weenie. I have about 750 Pacific Northwest dives. It can be done!

3. We are some of the luckiest divers in the world, because we can dive almost any day of the year. Yes, some sites have limits, and some weather will make certain places uncomfortable. But any day that you would really be willing to get out and dive, there is a place you can dive in the Seattle area.

4. New divers in our area are incredibly lucky, because there is such a huge and active local diving community. Nobody here needs to lack for a buddy! There are standing dives almost every weeknight somewhere, and weekends dives constantly being organized by clubs and by individuals. There are a lot of folks who like to take new divers under their wing -- I found my original diving mentor right here on ScubaBoard!

So enjoy your class, have fun with the grace of weightlessness, and I hope you are doing your checkout dives locally. Come back and let us know how it went!

Threads: Northwest Dive Club ? View topic - Whidbey Island Critters Northwest Dive Club ? View topic - 2012 favorites

Thanks for all the info....yes we are planning on doing local dives. We are doing Dry Suit as well when we do it as the sound is cold. :)

I am excited to get into the local events after my cert is complete. I will take a look at your links later today
Thanks
Paul

Back
Top Bottom