Hello from New Jersey!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello to all!
I am a new freediving addict. I am sopping up info like a buiscut! cant wait to get my first open water dive. will probably do fresh water first. eventually move on to some pole spearing off jersey shore. Anyone from around here?

Hello to all!
I am a new freediving addict. I am sopping up info like a buiscut! cant wait to get my first open water dive. will probably do fresh water first. eventually move on to some pole spearing off jersey shore. Anyone from around here?

Welcome! Im from Woodbridge VA. A lot of folks from VA DC area dive in NJ.

Hi S. Welcome. I'm in NJ, and have been diving local waters for more than 50 years, mostly the inlets. Before you do any spear fishing check the fish and wildlife commission regulations. Even though no NJ license is required for salt water fishing, there is a Federal permit that you can get on the NJ Fish and Wildlife web site. There are many regulations covering spear fishing, and in fresh water the state regs forbid the taking of ANY game fish. Check those regulations carefully, both fresh and saltwater.

NJ has very little structure in open ocean waters shallow enough to free dive. Mostly just sand, with very very fast moving fish. Jetties, inlets and rivers are where you will find the best opportunities for spear fishing. All of the regs that apply to rod and reel angling apply to spear fishing, and then some additional. NJ diving is challenging, but can be very rewarding. The only fishing I do these days is with a hand net, collecting tropical Gulf Stream strays. These brilliant little fishes can be extremely numerous in late summer. Dropping water temps kill them all in October.

There are at least two websites that cover NJ diving. Lots of good information. There are so many rod and reel fisherman it can be difficult to avoid disturbing them, and they become hostile very easily when someone is diving where they are fishing. The amount of broken off monofilament line in the water can be dangerous. I always carry three separate and different line cutting tools. Good luck and be cautious.

Welcome aboard!

For some great local resources, make sure to check out njscuba.net and njdive.com

sweet! Im hoping to be well versed by the end of the summer on jersey waters. Plan to hold my breath though. Im up to 3.5 minutes. I thought it was a pretty good start. hoping to get up to 5 minutes by summertime. I will probably begin by just some gopro video at first. then progress to some spearing. Maybe we will bump into each other capt.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2013 at 06:20 PM ----------

For a good freshwater site, try Dutch Springs quarry in Allentown,PA.

I have been reading a ton of blogs with dutch springs mentioned. It sounds like i will have to make it a place to be. cant wait!

---------- Post added January 13th, 2013 at 06:26 PM ----------

Hi S. Welcome. I'm in NJ, and have been diving local waters for more than 50 years, mostly the inlets. Before you do any spear fishing check the fish and wildlife commission regulations. Even though no NJ license is required for salt water fishing, there is a Federal permit that you can get on the NJ Fish and Wildlife web site. There are many regulations covering spear fishing, and in fresh water the state regs forbid the taking of ANY game fish. Check those regulations carefully, both fresh and saltwater.

NJ has very little structure in open ocean waters shallow enough to free dive. Mostly just sand, with very very fast moving fish. Jetties, inlets and rivers are where you will find the best opportunities for spear fishing. All of the regs that apply to rod and reel angling apply to spear fishing, and then some additional. NJ diving is challenging, but can be very rewarding. The only fishing I do these days is with a hand net, collecting tropical Gulf Stream strays. These brilliant little fishes can be extremely numerous in late summer. Dropping water temps kill them all in October.

There are at least two websites that cover NJ diving. Lots of good information. There are so many rod and reel fisherman it can be difficult to avoid disturbing them, and they become hostile very easily when someone is diving where they are fishing. The amount of broken off monofilament line in the water can be dangerous. I always carry three separate and different line cutting tools. Good luck and be cautious.

Thank you for the good info. Never thought about the Mono as being a hazard. Come to think of it I have left a ton of it there myself. (not purposely). Where in jersey do you go out from? I will probably do mostly filming with a gopro at first to scope it out. work on technique. progress to some spearing by end of summer.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2013 at 06:26 PM ----------

Welcome aboard!

For some great local resources, make sure to check out njscuba.net and njdive.com

thanks will check it out

Back
Top Bottom