hey from south carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhodges

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
New guy here from Sc. Going through my open water cert now and i'm chomping at the bits to get in the water, really excited about the wealth of knowledge here.

Where in SC are you? My wife and I dive and we are in Lancaster, SC. Going to Curacao for a 2-9 March.
Ed

i think you are located in a good place for scuba diving rhodges. at some point you will likely start running the road between you and Coastal Scuba. i use to run that road for access to Cameron's dive boat. another good spot for getting offshore (when you get to the point where you want to dive the ocean) is Wilmington NC. There are two primary dive outfits in Wilmington that I am aware of. I have used one of them. Of course at some point you will want to explore offshore Morehead City, LOTS to dive on up that way. i did a LOT of diving up that way many years ago. We have a couple of dive shops in Charleston with dive boats. The runs offshore are at least 1 hour of travel time. One of the attractions offshore is the three ledges. The ledges run parallel to the coast and are many miles apart. They extend up and parallel to the NC coast line also. They have some growth but not near as much as the Florida reefs. Down here in Charlie town we also dive the rivers. We do this mostly for hunting and finding sharks teeth. Good luck, have fun, be safe, and enjoy. There may be lots of scuba related adventure in your future!

ps: my avatar is a photo of a shipwreck offshore Charleston called the Researcher. I am in the photo. It was taken a couple of years ago

Thanks for the info Lee, and as you suspected i have already started running the road from florence to coastal. How are the dive outfits in Charleston? My wife and I try to make it down that way a couple time a year, we love it. Also its great to see some south carolina residents on here

Hello again rhodges. There are basically three dive outfits in Charleston. There is Charleston Scuba on the James Island side of the Cooper river and there is Low Country Scuba on the Mt. Pleasant side of the Cooper river. The third, located at the old Naval Base and is called the International Diving Institute.

Charleston Scuba recently celebrated their 25th year in business. They run a 30' Island Hopper boat with a head and no bridge. They successfully pump out newly certified divers on a regular basis and offer ALL levels of scuba certifications. They have a fair amount of quality gear on display but are not overloaded with gear. Divers Direct would be my example of gear overload (of which I enjoy). I know the most about this outfit because I use them most. They are the closest to my home

Low Country Scuba I do not know much about. They appear to be an excellent outfit with a good dive boat.

The International Diving Institute is basically for hard hat training. They DO sell scuba gear and rent scuba tanks. They may do scuba training. I am not clear on that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom