Rookie Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1978

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello and Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening wherever you may Dive.

Nice to meet everyone out there, and looking foward to getting meet some new and great people within the wonderful Diving Community.

Little bit about me, My Name is Stephen, I'm 34 and live on the Gulf Coast in the great state of Mississippi. I actually got into diving through some friends that I work with, and as another aspect of my career. However after getting to go sub-surface for the first time, well lets just say I've got the fever pretty darn bad. My lovely wife actually will roll her eyes, when someone gets me started talking about diving, lol.

I received my Open water (PADI) certification through Round Island Divers w/ John Gaffney out of Pascagoula, MS. John is a great mentor and instructor and I'm privileged to have him as a friend and dive instructor. After completing my open water course, I completed the Enriched Air certification speciality as well. Currently I'm looking forward to a trip to Vortex Springs next month to complete my underwater navigation, night and search and recovery dives towards my advanced open water. then later next month we will be diving the gulf of mexico near one of the oil rigs or fish havens to complete the deep water dive. After that, its on to Rescue Diver, and after that I'm gunning for Dive Master, then Open Water Instructor. I want to be able to continue the great tradition of passing on knowledge and letting others share this amazing experience that I've come to love.

Diving to me is completely peaceful and awe inspiring. I look forward to getting to know more of you out there.

With Respect

ScubaSteve1978

Sounds great! Since I don't know where you dove before, and you plan to dive Vortex Spring, a quick tip. I did some training dives there years ago and liked it. That 68 degree water is pretty chilly, and can be, ummm...rather bracing on the face. I suggest a hood to conserve body heat, in addition to the wet suit you'll be wearing anyway. Helping you stay warmer and comfortable may reduce the risk of burning through a tank of air too fast (which I have first hand knowledge of...).

Richard.

Richard appreciate the heads up about Vortex, I'll have to see about getting my hands on a hood for that day. We are planning 3 dives possibly a fourth the day we go, just depends on time.
As for locations I've been diving, a few small lakes in the area that I live in, and did my check-out dives at the Jetties in Panama City Beach, FL, then did two boat dives in the Gulf while in Panama City. We dove the Red Sea Tug, and the USS Strength, both days of diving were absolutely amazing. Viz on the Strength was about 25' and around 40' on the Red Sea.
The guys on our deparment dive team, which I'm on have nicknamed me "Air Hog" because I can go through a tank pretty quick, but as being new at diving, it doesn't bother me a bit, I know in time, my air consumption will come under control. But if anyone as any tips for that I'll be glad to hear them.

I'm chunky, pretty cold tolerant and was historically an air hog (have gotten a little better about that). But that cold water on your face can trigger heightened anxiety, and coupled with the stress inherent to a training dive, it can put you through an 80 cf tank pretty quick.

If you have access to a big tank, use it!

I did the dives in a 5 mm wet suit without hood or gloves, it can be done, but 68 is pretty chilly on the head. If your skills entail using gear requiring fine manipulation I suspect you can skip the gloves, but the hood would make you more comfortable.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom