Greetings from Ottawa, On Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First of all, let's just say I'm totally new to this world but I've always wanted to learn to dive! I'm planning to get my open water certificatin in April with my girlfriend and start diving this summer because I started a new job that gives me plenty of off time! :)

any local divers willing to give me tips and willing to go dive, I'll take any opportunities that comes to me!!

cheers!

howdy and good luck...enjoy the inner space of the underwater world.

Hey there, I'm from Ottawa and usually make it out once a week to the St. Lawrence for 2 dives (during the bearable months of May - Oct). I don't mind showing you some sites.

You'll probably do your training at the quarry, but the river is much more interesting.

What shop are you getting certified with?

Sharky's was recommended to us by my girlfriend's cousin. nothing is set in stone yet because I am waiting on my job schedule before signing up as I work shifts.

Sharky's is good, that's where I got certified. They have weekly diving that caters to new divers, all are guided and well organized (but most shops will offer that). No cost either.

Ask for Michael and Ginette for the training, they are very thorough.

Good luck!

as for buying gear, I heard that buying from you LDS is always a better option but if not possible is it only Diver Warehouse that has a wide selection? other than online of course.

Hi there deg and scubanoobi! My buddy/husband and I are in the general neighbourhood - north of Ottawa in Mont Cascades Village. While we are AOW all our diving has been in the Caribbean thus far. I'm hoping to take the GUE Fundamentals course at Morrison's Quarry this summer to learn how to dive in fresh (and colder) water, plus the GUE training appears a bit more 'robust' to me but then again all I have is a cert from a resort ... Anyhow, taking more training prior to braving the currents depths etc in the St. Lawrence. Welcome to SB, welcome to diving :) Hope to see you underwater...

Sharky's, Kanata dive shop and divers warehouse all have good stock, make the rounds and see what works best for you and your budget.

You don't need to buy any gear until after you get certified either, at least if you go with Sharky's, not sure about the others. They'll have everything for you to rent for about $100 for the length of the training and 4 checkout dives.

There is too much to buy, especially if you spend 2 hours in just above freezing water at the quarry. Just go with rental gear until after you get certified, you may decide you don't want to go diving in 40 degree water again:). The river gets up to mid 70's in the summer.

Definitely don't buy until after you have your cert. I have bougt gear at many of the local shops - KDS, Divers Wearhouse, Sharky's, and ScubaGeek. There is a lot of choice available, so take your time and figure out what you want.

Kijiji has also scored me some good buys.

Son and I tend to stick with Sharky's for the summer Wet Wednesday dives, but there are other options open as well.

thanks for all the input guys! I will definitely wait to get certified before buying anything other than personal gear. I can't wait to start diving and get my open water certification! I hope to see you guys this summer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom