New diver in Calgary AB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I started diving last year on a trip in Belize, started off snorkling, and ended that week with my OW and ended my trip with over 20 dives. FFW to now and I'm up past 40 dives, AOW, and looking to move out of PADI into something that actually makes a better diver (ie, actual personal diving skills - trim, boyancy, kicks, etc, not 'follow the DM' dives that I've been doing for a good chunk of my dives.)

Interested in GUE and their Rec courses (not really interested in anything more than doubles for longer bottom times. I do like going deep if there is something there), as well as getting into Dry Suits, as well, 85+ deg waters is a faw ways away from here.

Looking to get in touch with other locals, and finding out what Western Canada (and PNW) has to offer.

I have pretty flexible work schedule for most of the year, so trips and extended training sessions are quite possible with enough notice.

BRad

There is a huge dive community in Calgary and area, the largest in the Country in fact.

Please don't be so quick to dismiss the readily available instruction through the five dive shops here in town and Airdrie area. What you are looking for can be found here quite readily.

I just got back home from assisting on day one of an Ice Diver class out at Minnewanka.

Aquasports mentions GUE Fundamentals and Primer on it's technical diving page.

Aquasport Scuba Center - Technical Courses

As well as the TDI and Padi Tec/Rec courses.

Not sure how up to date the page is....Give them a call to find out though.

Otherwise the only instructors listed in Western Canada for GUE on the GUE website are in BC.

Plenty of opportunites to take Drysuit here in Calgary and some diving...

Check out the Underwater Outlaws and the Alberta Underwater Council for local events and organized dives.

I've been over to Aquasport, bought a bottom timer there.

Wheres a good place in town to hang out in a pool for a bit? Theres a few shops with pools, any other options? (I'm a stones throw from SAIT and UofC)

Any other meet ups?

With diving up here, any recommendations for a dry suit course/instructor?

Thanks again!

BRad

You can go to the Talisman centre Sunday night 7 to 9 pm and scuba in the dive tank.

Deepest in Calgary at 15 feet. You need to bring your own gear and a buddy and c-card.

Three shops have pools where you can have a splash. They provide weights and tanks. Still need a buddy and c card. More shallow as well.

Probably any of the shops will run a good Dry suit course. Bread and butter course for local diving.

My wife and I took ours thru the Dive Shop and our AOW thru Aquasports where we did the dry suit pool portion again for the practice.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

I've been over to Aquasport, bought a bottom timer there.

Wheres a good place in town to hang out in a pool for a bit? Theres a few shops with pools, any other options? (I'm a stones throw from SAIT and UofC)

Any other meet ups?

With diving up here, any recommendations for a dry suit course/instructor?

Thanks again!

BRad

Right up front...I teach through the Dive Shop. You can do a "splash" at the Shop as long as you have a certified buddy with you. The cost includes all gear if you are not using your own. The Shop's pool is 12 feet.

I do a nice Dry Suit class if I do say so myself.

Bill

Welcome to the board, if you are Interested in GUE/DIR checkout the Unified Team Diving web page and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Looking to get in touch with other locals, and finding out what Western Canada (and PNW) has to offer.

BRad

The book 151 dives in the protected waters of Washington and British Columbia is available at the library, as well as some other scuba guide books.

My wife and I have only done a few dives on the coast...Ogden Point in Victoria - a shore dive with lots to see. We also did two boat dives with UB diving near Courtney/Comox.

There are a few sites in the Okanagan and Shuswap. We've tried one at Vernon and one at Penticton - low vis at the time though.

The Alberta Underwater Council has a new log book out with Alberta dive site information.
Around Calgary it's mostly Two Jack Lake and Minnewanka in Banff, Forget me Not pond in Kananaskis.

A few sites in Waterton National Park. Sylvan Lake.

The Dive Shop is planning to have Monday night dives at Carburn Park.

Some shops have trips out to BC for the wreck diving near Nanaimo.

There are a few in Calgary lake clean-up dives and some camping weekends.

Alberta Underwater Council - News & Events - Dive Alberta Events & Lake Cleanups

Cheers!

---------- Post added March 10th, 2013 at 06:07 PM ----------

Oh yea...the only other thing I can think of right now is that the shops usually have sales about twice a year and specials through out the year.

You can also check out Bill Hall's two books: Diving Southern Alberta and Diving British Columbia.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

BRad

---------- Post added March 11th, 2013 at 01:32 PM ----------

Thanks for all the suggestions!

One question, crushed neoprene or ?trilam? shell for a dry suit. I know the neoprene is comparatively less expensive .....

Thanks!

BRad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom