New to Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi
I'm going on holiday to Puerto de Mogan ( Gran Canaria ) I am looking to learn to dive, the OW course is with SSI , my friends who dive already have told me I should be looking to complete a padi OW course .. Is this right can anyone help

Either SSI or PADI are organizations (and there are several more) that offer basic open water scuba training to get your 'OW cert.' - which is basically your entry into scuba diving.

I don't see either agency as clearly superior to the other. The quality of your instructor and your dedication to mastering the material and skills, and maintaining your skills through diving over time after certification, probably have a lot more to do with how good a diver you become than whether you chose PADI or SSI.

Richard.

I agree with Richard. Look for an instructor that goes beyond the basic standards. Look for one that asks for repetition of skills until there is comfort & muscle memory. If possible go for a longer course,... not a short one. Give yourself time for the information & skills to soak in before picking up more. It will be well worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom