Dipping my toes in to diving into forums...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all!!

So I reciently moved to Minnesota, and am hoping with the arrival of spring that I'll soon be able to do my first fresh water dives!!:D

With that come a question straight off the bat. :shocked2:
What thickness suit do I need to dive in these lakes?!! I've got a 3mm suit that I've used in Cancun, Hawai'i, and baked in in Bali. I'm very warm blooded, a girl and 5'2"... I've got all my other gear, less warm gloves and a hood :confused: if I need one??

Regardless, I'm open water now - and I'm finally working my way to making my childhood dreams come true!! Master Diver I can see off in the distance, and I know instructor is around the next corner!!! :acclaim:

Excited to know ya'll!

3 mm suit should work well, if you layer 3 of them on top of each other lol

Seriously though, try with a 2-piece 7-8 mm suit, definitely with hood and (thick) gloves.

You cant get a wetsuit that is too thick when diving in the northern lakes, At any depths the lakes I dive in around New England are lucky to be in the 40's

Consider a one piece 7mm with a 3mm vest. It will give you more options than a two piece 7mm. You can then use the vest with your 3mm.

Consider a one piece 7mm with a 3mm vest. It will give you more options than a two piece 7mm. You can then use the vest with your 3mm.

why would you need a vest if you diving in warm enough water for a 3mm?....cause you will not be diving with that in Minnesota anytime soon

The best wet suit for Minnesota is a dry suit with lots of warm undergarmets :D

why would you need a vest if you diving in warm enough water for a 3mm?....cause you will not be diving with that in Minnesota anytime soon

Because sometimes just a 3mm is not warm enough in some tropical destination during their winter months, if you are going to be in the water for extended periods of time such as deco dives or training. It could also help on those multi-day, multi tank diving vacations when after several days of diving the core body temp could start to drop increasing ones risk of DCS. I used a 3mm one piece with a 3mm vest doing a cavern class two weeks ago in Mexico, it was the perfect combo for being in the water for 6 hours. My instructor being a local was using a 7mm and was cold at the end of class.

And I agree, a drysuit is the way to go in Minnesota to extend your season in the spring, fall, and possibly some ice diving.

Back
Top Bottom