Check off the first dive... I want more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake10

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone, I'm in st croix and finally went on my first dive! And wow, it's always been a dream to go but I was really amazed. Ive finally decided (now that I'm old enough) to get certified with my dad. We have a place on one of the finger lakes so we have water to explore. can you help me out learning what equipment I need and what are good brands and places to buy
Bc
Octo
Regulator
Pressure Gage's/ depth
Weights
Mask
Wet suit
Booties
Hood
Fins
Snorkel
I plan on renting a tank, tell me if this is a good idea

Budget for the bc and regulator Gage's and bare bones basics to breathe under water is about ~450, is it do able? (Not everything has to be new)

Thanks guys & gals

Hey buddy welcome to the underwater world. Where did you dive?

If you haven't yet and you have time, go dive at Cane Bay. You can do an easy shore dive from there with a DM at the shop. You don't have to dive the main wall there to have a blast. Lots of stuff to see in the shallows.

Re dive gear, there are so many possible options out there. Don't buy everything at once. The first thing I bought was a weight integrated BC because I couldn't bear wearing a wright belt again. Other people will recommend a computer or regulator first. Lots of opinions out there.

I bought a Zeagle Stilleto and love it. Easy to travel with and I can still dive with it locally in CA with a 7mm full suit. If you have a dive shop with access to a pool, see if they will let you demo gear and find out what you like.

Re mask - go for what fits well and feels comfortable.

Re everything else- research as much as you can. The specific forums for each piece of gear are incredibly helpful.

Even though I've joined just today I've been reading this board for a long time, and there are just so many people wanting advice on gear!

Lopez is right, it's an individual experience and everyone buys in a different sequence. I couldn't agree more on integrated weights, and the basics (fins, mask, gloves, boots) are all pretty simple choices: what fits and what suits your budget.

BC and wetsuit are your second tier, go for quality, I personally have always gone with a brand called Waterproof for my wetsuits (specifically the W1), they're a Swedish company and make the best suits I've ever used, but again, personal choice prevails. My current BC is a Cressi Bac Jack, and I decided on that by going to my local shop and testing it out. For BC's look at Oceanic, Cressi, Hollis, Scubapro, Zeagle - all companies have options for first timers and experienced tec divers.

My advice is to hold off on the computer, I had a friend that rushed into buying an Oceanic Atom and spent way too much money on a computer he didn't need. The computer is eventually going to be an essential piece of gear, but learn what sort of diver you are, and what you need out of a computer.

Your price range for the regs is definitely doable, but you might be stretching it to include a BC that'll last you. Make sure that any used gear you buy is inspected and if needed repaired by your local shop, but I'm sure that's pretty obvious. It seems like a lot of money now, but by the time you've gone out and done a handful of dives you forget how much you spent and learn to love it!

Good luck, and happy diving. Make sure you keep us updated on your decision!

---------- Post added April 7th, 2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

Oh and I rented a tank for about 6 months when I first started off, and quickly realised that the amount of money I'd spent on refills, deposits and rentals would have bought me a tank. I honestly think that it's worth buying a tank if you're going to be diving pretty regularly, renting adds up fast

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom