New Couple to Scuba needs help to plan for a Trip to Texas Flower Gardens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey there all, we are getting certified next month. YAYAYAY, we have wanted to do this for 2 years and it is finally happening. Anyway we are going to Texas Flower Gardens with our LDS. There is a night dive on it and I need some suggestions for diving lights? Also I am trying to get a GoPro Hero3 Black Edition and I know that I need a filter for the light, any ideas? I know that the diving is between 60-90 ft. Thanks. Also any suggestion on equipment would be good. We have Atomic Cobalts, Axiom i3 and Soul i3, ABS Octo, and I can't remember the Reg. Thanks to all

I HAVE DONE THIS TRIP MANY TIMES. The first time i lesrned to not take a cheap light. Or if you do dont take a cheap backup. Get a quality tech rated cave rated light. Less than 100$us if fine. They may be listed as backup lights. Look for alight that has no button and requires twisting the body to turn on and off. Loosen to turn on and tighten to turn off. I use hollis led3's and i have others. Get a light that you can buy standard batteries for. you will need at least 2 lights per diver. 3 is not a bad idea bcause your buddy's light will fail. get a broad beam light and a narrow beam light. make the broad beam light the cheapy.

Hollis Scuba Diving Lights, Hollis Rechargeable Lights, LED Dive Light ignore the canasters the 4 other lights are ok. What ever cheapy you get make sure you can tie it off when it fails and siwtch to the backup light. if you gat a pair of these bachkuplights i think you will be happy with them. dont store them with the batteries in them. There are many other manufactures of lights that are equally good lights. On the led3 you unscrew teh back cap to turn on the light. and tighten it to turn off. you do this to insure there is a good seal when the light is not being used and that water presure does not turn it on when it is in your pocket. (if youuse a bcd and not a bp/w).

I am sure others will have suggestions also. here is a broad beam light Big Blue Dive Lights Big Blue AL 1X5 Led Diving Light with Gloves - Free Shipping

here are some other sources
Diving Backup Lights - Dive Gear Express

scubatoys and lp or course.

ask the operation if they allow teh light tubes calumine sticks. many frown on thier use.
many sivers wear low powered lights on thier tanks for buddy identification. if they allow that ask what color not to use. sometimes the dive leader reserves a color to him self.

On night dives when i do not use my cave light i take 2 backup lights. remember lights are not just to see with but it is your communincation device. do some reading on light signaling. its pretty simple. up down = attention back forth =emergency circle = ok ect. Im sure a lot more info will follow but hope this gets you started. One lsast thing the light is a multipurpose tool not a fashion statement.

Good luck and enjoy the gardens, hopefully you will also do stetson banks.

Get you Nitrox card if you don't have it already. Its easy to get and at the depths in the Flower Gardens and the repetitive dives it makes a significant difference. Not to mention the peace of mind when diving far from shore.

What I remember from my night dives in the Flower Gardens was that the lights from the MV Fling served as an easy way to find your way back to the boat AND cast a really neat "full moon" glow for the dive. I honestly only used mine for looking under rocks, crevices, etc. I could clearly see the other divers and my buddy.

Whatever you get (cameras or light), just remember to get lots of practice first. The Flower Gardens can be a challenge for a new diver...ESPECIALLY for a new diver that is task loaded with unfamiliar camera gear and equipment. Be safe and take it slow, the Flower Gardens are really cool.

Flame away, but I think your dive shop is doing you a dis-service signing you up for an FGB trip before you are even certified. It can be a very challenging trip, even for experienced divers. Hopefully seas will cooperate. I really think that adding the camera is a bad idea.

Good Luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom