Looking for a hobby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gregg_ca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello!

Got my certification at 17 but fell out of diving for many (many) years. Started travelling and now best friend recently cert'd so looking for a hooby. Pushing mid-40's now. Discovering there's lots of dive options in and around Ontario, Canada. Approaching 25 dive mark as I get back into it. Done a few cold water dives in Ontario; most dives in southern locations while travelling. I consider myself a good, safe diver. If you come across this thread, would love some input on:

1) making this a true hobby. Where do i get started with my own gear? Already own basics such as mask, snorkel, booties, fins.
2) clearing ears. Left has always given me problems. Always looking for advice.
3) Dive locations. Done Ontario, Grand Cayman (amazing), Mexico, Bahamas (gave Caymans a solid run for the money). heading to Cuba this summer (Cayo Santa Lucia)

Excited to know there's a network of solid experience out there to learn from.

Be safe.
Gregg

If you plan on diving locally in Ontario then exposure protection should be your first aquisition. Ideally a drysuit if you want to dive year round but a good 7mm wetsuit with a hooded vest is another suitable option for June to October.
This may help you with your ears:
Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page
Loads of options for diving in Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and Lake Huron together with warmer water diving along the St. Lawrence.
You may want to look into joining a dive club to get more exposure to local divers. If you are in the Toronto area you might like to check out my club. http://www.cansac.ca

Hello!

Got my certification at 17 but fell out of diving for many (many) years. Started travelling and now best friend recently cert'd so looking for a hooby. Pushing mid-40's now. Discovering there's lots of dive options in and around Ontario, Canada. Approaching 25 dive mark as I get back into it. Done a few cold water dives in Ontario; most dives in southern locations while travelling. I consider myself a good, safe diver. If you come across this thread, would love some input on:

1) making this a true hobby. Where do i get started with my own gear? Already own basics such as mask, snorkel, booties, fins.
2) clearing ears. Left has always given me problems. Always looking for advice.
3) Dive locations. Done Ontario, Grand Cayman (amazing), Mexico, Bahamas (gave Caymans a solid run for the money). heading to Cuba this summer (Cayo Santa Lucia)

Excited to know there's a network of solid experience out there to learn from.

Be safe.
Gregg

So where are you? Ontario is a big province...

Hamilton, to be exact. Main dive buddy, Guelph.

---------- Post added April 11th, 2013 at 11:21 PM ----------

Comprehensive page. Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to check that out.

For dive sites visit the Ontario Underwater Council website and download the Google Earth plug in that will show the location of many of the wrecks and divesites in Ontario with links to photos etc. They also have a directory of all the affiliated dive clubs and dive store.
Ontario Underwater Council

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom