Hello from New Mexico looking for any advice :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lgraham1

New
Reaction score
Hey! I am absolutely new too scuba diving and I am very interested in learning. I have never dove before and have very little experience in the ocean other than surfing. I suppose you have to start somewhere :) . I hope to spend this summer in North Carolina and Florida learning to scuba and Free Dive.

I am going to be getting my Open Water Cert. next month here in New Mexico, and I hope to take a free diving course out in North Carolina. I hope to perhaps try some spear fishing as well if I have the opportunity.

I am absolutely new to diving and I have lots of questions. Where should I begin diving, in small lakes here in NM or trying charters in NC? What type of gear is essential other than scuba basics(regulator, tank, BC, and some fins)? Will I always need to purchase charters or could I find other locals willing to go with me?

Like I said I have plenty of questions, and I'm looking forward to learning and getting to know the scuba board community :)

There are a few opportunities to dive in NM. See Trinity Diving - Scuba in Durango, CO and Farmington, NM - Dive Sites. Unless you have a pile of money I would rent tanks and weights at least, maybe gear so you can see what works best for you. Then buy. I would recommend purchasing mask, fins/booties (assuming warmer water too) first then other gear as you get to know what you want.

I don't have any dive buddies in NM but there is a sub forum, Western US, on SB or get to know the local divers (NM or NC). Find local dive shops and go in and ask questions. I have found LDS to be generally very friendly. As far as salt water dives, I cannot say how easy it is to fly out of Albuquerque but Colorado Springs seems to be picking up more flights, especially charters. I may be making assumptions but it appears you live in NM. As you may know I-25 north in winter can be a real pain but otherwise an easy drive into CO.

I can't really tell you where to begin diving. I was certified in a Colorado lake. It depends on what you are asking. Is it local certification or diving after cert? Personally I like diving salt water (reefs, wrecks, etc) more than fresh but local diving is cheaper.

Browse the forums here for awhile. There are plenty of gear, travel, and other forums.

Good luck

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Good Luck & Good Diving.

Welcome to Scuaba Diving,

on equipment i recommend just buy the ABC which is mask, fins and wetsuit. Most important about those things is the fit and comfort so you have to try them on.
Any diveshop will rent you bcd, reg and tanks. And you should use professionals in the beginning with more experience yes you can go out with a buddy and enjoy diving.

Leif Meinert
Coconut Divers Cancun

Welcome Igraham1.

I'm sure your LDS will tell you about some of the places to dive in NM. The Blue Hole in Santa Rosa is 90 miles east of Albuquerque. Most OW classes end up there at some point. There are other places, lakes and such around NM. There is a group of us that dive the third Sunday of month at Santa Rosa, so there is always a buddy to dive with. We make a couple of dives, grill some brats and hang out. Once you have your OW card, come join us.

Have fun.

Welcome to the forum!!! There are several options for dive sites and dive operations in New Mexico. If you happen to be in the northwest region we at Trinity Diving would be glad to get you hooked up with whatever you need! Feel free to call, email, or PM with any questions you might have!

@ColoDale - Thank you for the reference :)

Back
Top Bottom