Old diver getting back into it.. new to the forum! Howdy all!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clownfish60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey! I am Charlie (or clownfish60). Got my first cert in 86, and dove a lot until 2000. Haven't been doing anything but snorkeling for the past 13 years.. and decided to get back into diving. Talked my girlfriend into getting certified also... so I will have a good buddy! :wink: New to the forum... looks great! Hope to meet some good people here, trade some stories, and share info.

Welcome back in the fold. I too had a long SI (though mine was "only" 8 years), and as soon as I started back up, it was just blissful to be back to diving. With the girlfriend getting certified, are you also taking any form of a refresher? If not formally, I suggest looking over her course materials. There are subtle changes in how some things are approached compared to your active past.

Have fun!

Greetings clownfish60! Welcome to ScubaBoard and back to the underwater world. Where are you going to do most of your diving? We are located on the East coast in South Florida where we have miles of coral reefs and shipwrecks. It's a diver's playground, so if you are ever in the area, drop by and say "hi"

We wish you and your girlfriend many years of diving fun!

Welcome to SB...
I was dry for longer than you were, I recommend taking a refresher course. So many things have changed/improved over the years that time in the pool gets you refocused and up to speed.

While it is great that you want to get back into diving, after reading your post I would like to make some suggestions. First, 13 years is too long a lay off to be handled by just doing a refresher course. I strongly suggest you go through the entire OW course again. I would think you need to do this to ensure you are again a confident and competent diver. Your statement that you "talked your girlfriend into getting certified" also raises a Red Flag. Dive training is an activity that requires a commitment, and as an instructor I have seen too many who were "talked into" training fail to complete the course of instruction. I don't want rain on your parade, just want you and your friend to be safe.

Welcome back in the fold. I too had a long SI (though mine was "only" 8 years), and as soon as I started back up, it was just blissful to be back to diving. With the girlfriend getting certified, are you also taking any form of a refresher? If not formally, I suggest looking over her course materials. There are subtle changes in how some things are approached compared to your active past.

Have fun!

Thanks! Have a refresher Pool session this coming Wednesday... I like being careful! :wink: Already have covered the refresher book materials, as well as having read my Padi Advanced and NAUI OW II manuals again (although I am sure they are a bit out of date! lol!) I agree... things have changed a bit!

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2013 at 04:58 PM ----------

Greetings clownfish60! Welcome to ScubaBoard and back to the underwater world. Where are you going to do most of your diving? We are located on the East coast in South Florida where we have miles of coral reefs and shipwrecks. It's a diver's playground, so if you are ever in the area, drop by and say "hi"

We wish you and your girlfriend many years of diving fun!

I will be down your way some.. airfare is fairly cheap! Used to dive West Palm and Boynton quite a bit.. and did a lot of boat / drift / wreck in that part of the world. I was out of Tampa then.. and spent a lot of time in the Gulf as well. Thanks.. back at'cha!

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2013 at 05:00 PM ----------

Welcome to SB...
I was dry for longer than you were, I recommend taking a refresher course. So many things have changed/improved over the years that time in the pool gets you refocused and up to speed.

Yep.. I agree! Refresher is always a good idea! I imagine I will be pretty comfortable back in the water... have been doing a lot of freediving / snorkeling the past couple of years, I think that will help somewhat!

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2013 at 05:14 PM ----------

While it is great that you want to get back into diving, after reading your post I would like to make some suggestions. First, 13 years is too long a lay off to be handled by just doing a refresher course. I strongly suggest you go through the entire OW course again. I would think you need to do this to ensure you are again a confident and competent diver. Your statement that you "talked your girlfriend into getting certified" also raises a Red Flag. Dive training is an activity that requires a commitment, and as an instructor I have seen too many who were "talked into" training fail to complete the course of instruction. I don't want rain on your parade, just want you and your friend to be safe.

"Talked into" was just a phrase I used... she is actually excited about it, and is self motivated about it. She is also no wall flower... I have had her up on two week treks in the backcountry above 12000 feet with just what we could carry, climbed several fourteeners, knows her basic snorkeling skills, is now very comfortable in the water. She is also a nurse... and I have never seen her panic, she deals with stress very well. As far as me taking a class... I have at least a couple of dives under my belt although it has been a while! I am very careful, always prepared, and won't get myself into any situation that I am not confident I can handle. I am pretty sure I will be fine! We will also be sticking to the pretty stuff at 30' or so for this upcoming vacation, as I will want to work on her skills and bouyancy (and yea.. mine too!)

I do appreciate your concern, though!

From one old guy to another, welcome back to the wet side.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Good Luck & Good Diving.

Back
Top Bottom