Certified Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KEdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi
I just got certified today!! So I am wondering what next? Buy Equipment? Rent and go somewhere? What equipment should I buy. OH the possibilities:) I really don't know what else to say at this point I am glad I got ity done and can enjoy the underwater world.
Keith

Congratulations!

My first purchase after OW certification was a computer, a Mares Puck. I took that with me everywhere I rented gear. Then was my own 7mm wetsuit.

Then, once I figured out what I liked, I placed an order for my BCD and regulators, and then bought tanks, weights, etc.

Regardless, get out there and dive. If you find you're out there as often as possible, owning your own gear might make sense. If not, renting might make sense. It really depends on how much you dive and how convenient your LDS is.

Oh, and welcome to ScubaBoard!

tplyons has some solid advice. My first purchases were similar. Rent some different gear and see what you like...and dive, dive, dive.

I'll definitely agree with tplyons on the computer. I first certified in '85 and back then my first purchase was my BCD, then reg and the rest. But after just re-certifying a few weeks ago in Grand Cayman and using a SubGear XP-10 for the first time, I'd say go with a good choice in computer, it'll make diving so much easier and give you all the details to log and study later. I chose the Oceanic Atom 3.1, but do the research and go with your best choice for your needs. Everything else will fall into place after that. Many online shops and LDS do package deals, so take a close look at them as well.
have fun

SWEET! Congrats!
+1 on the above advise.

Lots of info on Scubaboard, so do you homework and be an educated consumer of scuba gear, scuba training, and scuba travel. Find some mentors and go dive!

Welcome to the Under (water) World...... I would rent gear for a while just to see what type of BCD and regs you like, sort of like a test drive. A computer is a good choice, that way you can track your progress more easily.

Congrats and welcome to SCUBA Board!!! You got some solid advice there. I, on the other hand, rented for several months until I figured I was diving a lot and rental gear was becoming a nuisance. So I just bought all my stuff together. Just remember, dive safe, dive often, and have fun.

Congrats! You sound like me when I got certified.

What's next? I would try and get some diving in right away. That way you don't forget about the skills you just learned and you can get comfortable.

Owning your own equipment is a good idea, but don't rush out and buy everything right away. If you are ready to spend some money here are my top suggestions: 1. Wetsuit... because wearing a rented wetsuit is kind of gross. 2. Computer... It's easy to travel with and you'll always know how it works. If you rent one, who knows what model you'll get.

This is assuming that you've already purchased your mask, snorkel and fins.

I know that I might get my dive shop owner card taken away by saying this, but try out a couple of BC styles before you commit to one. Most instructors put you in a jacket style BCD, but give a back mount BCD a try. Some people, including myself, prefer to have the bladder on their backs instead of wrapped around them. The good news is that many manufacturers, such as Aqua Lung, have a satisfaction guarantee program. If you buy it and don't like it, you can exchange it for something else. Some dive shops, such as Force-E, have similar No-Worry buying programs. Ask your LDS about their policies.

As far as regulators are concerned...Owing your own is ideal, but if you need to budget your new dive addiction, then renting at first is ok. Most dive shops do a good job at maintaining their rental lockers, but inspect it before you walk out of the store. Hook it up to a tank and breathe off of it to make sure there are no problems.

Best fishes,

My opinion is buy a BC, it is the one thing that will help with buoyancy more than anything else, they vary a lot and effect weighting. you can can rent the rest including the computer however using a strange computer is difficult at best. most new divers dive with a divemaster on planned dives for awhile, ask them all sorts of questions like depth, time, safety stop and why that profile here. etc.

plan a trip to Cozumel, it is valet diving at its best. (remember to tip). usually gear is included in dive price. Cheap!

If you think about renting for a week of diving it is usually around $100 or so for a BC, I usually prefer to invest that directly with a nice shop like Force-e
icosm14.gif
(no association). and buy it now.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

A lot of good advice here. Go with computer first!
Then get your own wetsuit.
Then i would advice to rent or borrow a jacket-vest, a back-inflate vest, and a Backplate/Harness/Wing for at least a couple dives each.
See which system you like the best,and go for it.

Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom