New To Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Guys,

I'm new to diving and I wanted some tips on what scuba equiptments to own as a beginner. As of lately all i've been doing is renting out equiptments and I want to have a gear of my own. Would appreciate all the help on choosing the perfect gear.

Regs, Fins, Mask, BCD, Wetsuit and Computer are the items I would concentrate on first. Theres hundreds of different opinions on what is the best gear and reviews online, start having a look online at scuba gear or if you have a dive shop nearby look and see what they have for sale. Think of serviceability in your area and international warranties. You dont have to stick with one brand, or you may like the convenience of that option - buying your entire kit as one sale, I mix and match brands. Think of the rental gear you have been using and decide what you did and did not like about each item so you have a point of reference to start with. Local advice is your best bet, I dont imagine you would require a drysuit and thermal undergarmets and heating pads in Bahrain. Im sure some people based in your area will pop up and offer advice..and most importantly - what sort of diving do you want to do?
Theres also the ''mandatory'' toys like torches, knives, surface marker bouys etc.

Welcome to scubaboard, aqua.lungs. Congratulations on deciding to make that first big purchase.

You will find that each diver or dive instructor has their own favorite brands. In reality pretty much each line is going to have their flagship products which may be lighter, longer lasting, or breath easier than "price point" (more affordable) systems. When choosing dive gear you really need to think of it as "life sustaining equipment" and thus I wouldn't recommend "going with the lowest bidder" by buying used or "gray market" stuff off the internet which may be cheaper but comes with no warranty or guarantees.

Any modern regulator, correctly maintained, is going to have a perfectly good safety record. No matter the cost, they simply will never just stop giving you air. But what will vary is the ease of breathing they offer and some of the features the regulator comes with.

I prefer piston design first stages (the bit that goes on the tank) vs. diaphragm as they usually breath easier, but they are more expensive. Rental gear usually has diaphragm first stages. The more expensive second stages (the bit that goes in your mouth) will have resistance adjustments as well as verturi switches. The resistance adjustment allows you to adjust the second stage perfectly, each dive if need be, so breathing is effortless. Not all regs have this feature. Most regs do have a venturi switch which IMO is a useless feature. ("Venturi" is a brainy word related how air and fluid flows through a space thanks to an Italian physicist of that name) It helps prevent your reg from free flowing. Just learn to manage your regs (keep them pointed down in water) and that feature is useless. My suggestion is spending more money on the first and primary second stage, then get the cheapest alternate air source as possible, or better yet get an alternate air source that is integrated into the infiltrator such as an Air II or Air Source. That will save you even more money. If you have money to burn, get titanium regs. They are light weight and will last longer than you.

With the BCD, it depends what you want to do. Most companies make travel BCD's which are just fine if you do a lot of traveling and want to save weight on your luggage. If that is not such a concern, then again, look something with a bit more features and durability. You will need to decide if you want weight integration. Most BCD's have that now. You will also need to choose between rear inflation and wrap around inflation. Rear inflation feels more awkward at the surface, always wanting to put you on your face, but most people feel they are more comfortable to swim in while on a dive as what air you may have int he BCD stays behind you keeping you in a nice position. It may be easier to float at the surface with a wrap around, but if you turn while on a dive, the air tumbles around inside and it's a little more difficult to right yourself. Not a huge issue, but a difference none the less.

Regarding yoke vs. DIN, if you are diving primarily in N. America or the tropics, get a yoke style regulator, if you are diving primarily in Europe, get a DIN. Not a big deal anyway as any shop or boat will have converters or hybrid valves on hand. If you think you might get into tech diving, get DIN.

As for specific brands and models I recommend, the Scubapro Mk25/S600 has always been my favorite and usually wins the top spot when it comes to ease of breathing, but the Aqualung Legand and the Apeks XTX200 are going to breath pretty much just as well. Another thing to consider is what brands are supported near where you live, as an anual service is strongly recommended.

Welcome to diving. The choices for the perfect gear are endless. people here will have their opinions and like everywhere you will have to chose. I am currently selling gear I bought which doesn't suit.

I would recommend buying a primary reg of DIN 300 BAR. and a converter to K valve. You can usually use 235 BAR cylinders from most dive sites but if not use the converter. If you buy 300 BAR and DIN, and a converter you can use 300 BAR cylinders, 235 BAR cylinders and K valve cylinders which gives you lots of options. Of course the manufacturers would like you on K and then DIN tom sell more gear.

As you go from recreational to tech you can then use the same primary reg. I am currently spending a lot of money converting all my K regs to DIN. I have found most dive sites use both DIN and K tanks and now most have the DIN/K valves fitted so no big deal. If you had of asked me if I would tech dive when I first started I would have said no, but many dives later I enjoy tech diving which is a mix of recreational and tech.

I know its often hard to find the money to buy gear but if you buy the best you can afford, it will last a long time, if you skimp and go cheap you will be replacing it.

Have fun diving I love it.

What a big topic you have opened! What is the "best gear" has been inciting discussions (and arguments) here for the whole eight years I've been a SB member, and it hasn't been settled yet.

Some of it depends on where you are going to dive -- if you're going to focus primarily on places like the Red Sea, where the warm is warm and you need very little insulation, you will likely make different choices from someone who does a lot of diving in the Pacific Northwest of North America.

Masks, boots, fins and wetsuits HAVE to fit. A good shop employee can help you understand what a good fit is -- it isn't always intuitive to novices. Wetsuits, for example, need to fit closely enough to be what would be considered uncomfortable in street clothes. A mask should fit well enough that if you put it on your face and push in on it (and hold your breath) it will stay put.

BCs and regulators come in a bewildering spectrum of brands and designs, but one basic principle is that you almost certainly do not need the "top end" model with all the bells and whistles. It's the highest profit item for a shop, so they will push it, but many times, people spend the huge sums involved and later discover that they like something simpler much better.

Although it is not foolproof, one way to figure out what works in your diving environment is to go where people are diving and talk to them about what they own and why they have it. Divers are almost always delighted to talk about their gear, and if you look at what experienced people are using, there may be a commonality that will help guide your choices.

Welcome to scubaboard, aqua.lungs. Congratulations on deciding to make that first big purchase.

You will find that each diver or dive instructor has their own favorite brands. In reality pretty much each line is going to have their flagship products which may be lighter, longer lasting, or breath easier than "price point" (more affordable) systems. When choosing dive gear you really need to think of it as "life sustaining equipment" and thus I wouldn't recommend "going with the lowest bidder" by buying used or "gray market" stuff off the internet which may be cheaper but comes with no warranty or guarantees.

Any modern regulator, correctly maintained, is going to have a perfectly good safety record. No matter the cost, they simply will never just stop giving you air. But what will vary is the ease of breathing they offer and some of the features the regulator comes with.

I prefer piston design first stages (the bit that goes on the tank) vs. diaphragm as they usually breath easier, but they are more expensive. Rental gear usually has diaphragm first stages. The more expensive second stages (the bit that goes in your mouth) will have resistance adjustments as well as verturi switches. The resistance adjustment allows you to adjust the second stage perfectly, each dive if need be, so breathing is effortless. Not all regs have this feature. Most regs do have a venturi switch which IMO is a useless feature. ("Venturi" is a brainy word related how air and fluid flows through a space thanks to an Italian physicist of that name) It helps prevent your reg from free flowing. Just learn to manage your regs (keep them pointed down in water) and that feature is useless. My suggestion is spending more money on the first and primary second stage, then get the cheapest alternate air source as possible, or better yet get an alternate air source that is integrated into the infiltrator such as an Air II or Air Source. That will save you even more money. If you have money to burn, get titanium regs. They are light weight and will last longer than you.

With the BCD, it depends what you want to do. Most companies make travel BCD's which are just fine if you do a lot of traveling and want to save weight on your luggage. If that is not such a concern, then again, look something with a bit more features and durability. You will need to decide if you want weight integration. Most BCD's have that now. You will also need to choose between rear inflation and wrap around inflation. Rear inflation feels more awkward at the surface, always wanting to put you on your face, but most people feel they are more comfortable to swim in while on a dive as what air you may have int he BCD stays behind you keeping you in a nice position. It may be easier to float at the surface with a wrap around, but if you turn while on a dive, the air tumbles around inside and it's a little more difficult to right yourself. Not a huge issue, but a difference none the less.

Regarding yoke vs. DIN, if you are diving primarily in N. America or the tropics, get a yoke style regulator, if you are diving primarily in Europe, get a DIN. Not a big deal anyway as any shop or boat will have converters or hybrid valves on hand. If you think you might get into tech diving, get DIN.

As for specific brands and models I recommend, the Scubapro Mk25/S600 has always been my favorite and usually wins the top spot when it comes to ease of breathing, but the Aqualung Legand and the Apeks XTX200 are going to breath pretty much just as well. Another thing to consider is what brands are supported near where you live, as an anual service is strongly recommended.

I really appreciate the detailed info about the equipments, specially regarding the first & second stages.

Regarding the BCD's I was considering Cressi what do you think about that? Or should i look at something from Scubapro?

---------- Post added June 11th, 2013 at 12:54 PM ----------

Regs, Fins, Mask, BCD, Wetsuit and Computer are the items I would concentrate on first. Theres hundreds of different opinions on what is the best gear and reviews online, start having a look online at scuba gear or if you have a dive shop nearby look and see what they have for sale. Think of serviceability in your area and international warranties. You dont have to stick with one brand, or you may like the convenience of that option - buying your entire kit as one sale, I mix and match brands. Think of the rental gear you have been using and decide what you did and did not like about each item so you have a point of reference to start with. Local advice is your best bet, I dont imagine you would require a drysuit and thermal undergarmets and heating pads in Bahrain. Im sure some people based in your area will pop up and offer advice..and most importantly - what sort of diving do you want to do?
Theres also the ''mandatory'' toys like torches, knives, surface marker bouys etc.

Thanks scuba gear is that what you reccommend? & For a start I'm mostly going to do some recreational dives slowing moving on to wreck diving

---------- Post added June 11th, 2013 at 01:06 PM ----------

Turtle fins vs Split Fins Vs Blade Fins is there a major difference or Just Personal Preference?

Back
Top Bottom