Career Advice for a newbie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hey everyone!

I have always loved the ocean, even though I have visited it only twice in my life-I once swam with a dolphin and my life has never been the same since but it has taken me a while to realize my passion-the ocean. I have recently decided I want a career that involves diving or being in water. Is it difficult to make a living diving? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. This is one of those things I feel very intuitively strong about. I know I will fall in love with diving and I already know I love the ocean. I am also very artistic and love animals so I was considering videography. How do I get my foot in the door? Thank you!

Much love! -FutureScubaMermaid

Hi there.
I guess the first thing you need to do is getting certified. So check out dive schools in your area and get information about their lessons.
And start diving!:wink:

You may want to try a "Discover SCUBA" class before getting into a full SCUBA class.
That way you'll have a better idea what it's about.
Again contact a local dive shop, as The Dutch Guy suggested, to find out more.
Best of luck with what ever you do.

A very frugal lifestyle is a good start. After that lots of training and diving. I am not trying to be negative, just realistic. Research how much recreational dive pros actually make, and I don't mean the astronomical numbers some throw around. This is a great hobby, I am even finishing my Divemaster this month, however it is a retirement pursuit for me. I don't really need the dough, I just enjoy teaching and watching others come to love the sport. As long as you don't need to own a home or newer car or a lot of other middle class items, you will do fine.
RichH

Move close to the ocean….a nice warm ocean. Hawaii would be a good place. Get a job and start diving. You can shore dive there pretty easily in some nice spots so you won't need a boat.
You'll meet other divers, maybe go ahead and become a dive master or instructor and if you still think you want to, try to work in a shop.

But again, try to get close to the ocean. Even if you don't work in the dive industry, you're getting closer to what you said you fell in love with.

I grew up in Ohio. Fell in love with the ocean before I ever saw it watching Jaques Cousteau and any Nat Geo show about reefs, fish…whatever. Left Ohio 37 years ago and have been by a tropical sea ever since. It can be done.

Welcome to SCUBAboard & the diving world!

Good Luck on your Diving Endeavors.

Is it difficult to make a living diving?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: it depends. If you're alone (no kids or family to support), willing to travel where the work is and don't mind living on a subsistence budget in exchange for quite a lot of hard work, then for some people it can be a gratifying life style. Before you get there, though you'll need a year or two to get the qualifications and a bit of experience. If you have other real-world skills (languages, practical skills, etc.) then it can help.

What a lot of people end up doing is to move to where ever you want to be diving and to get a day-job that pays the rent and work as a diver for the "hobby" and to cover expenses (and with a bit of luck, make enough to buy nice toys). A lot of what is possible depends on location.

R..

Hank that is so inspiring! I knew I would love the ocean before I got to see it too! But what really did it for me was swimming with sting rays/dolphins. I am considering moving to St. Petersburg FL. Do you think that would be ideal?

I haven't spent much time in FL and don't know the place that well but St Pete is on the Gulf side. You might log onto the Florida dive section here. People there could tell you more.
I would guess the vis isn't very good inshore so you're looking at heading out pretty far on a boat to get nice diving, which means more expensive. On the other hand, it could be a hot spot for sting rays.
Why St Pete? Do you have contacts….friends….family there?

Get certified and start diving. If you are still in love with the idea of making a living in the water you will be able to explore ideas underwater instead of wondering what it's like. I made a very good living as a diver and so could you. Good luck. Adventure-Ocean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom