Hey everyone! Just need some advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I currently have my open water certification. I want to go up to Divemaster. Preferably in Thailand. But does not have to be there exactly. Through a zero to hero internship. The problem is, I only have 17 days to do it. Can someone please give me some information on how to go about this. Thanks xxxxxx

Besides "zero to hero" being a bad idea for both you and your future clients, I don't think it's possible. You need AOW, Science of Diving, Rescue?, EFR, 40 logged dives and Dive Guide. And there's probably other requirements - including any by your instructor(s).

I don't see any way to do that in 17 days - maybe if you had 2 months. Plus as SSI you'll also have to put in some time working at the shop so that will cut into your dive/training time.

Last edited:
I hope it is not possible for the sake of your future clients and your own safety.

Definitely not possible - and even if a dive centre somehow finds a way to offer it to you, it's not advisable. As diversteve says, you need to do Advanced, a first aid/CPR course, and rescue courses before you start DM training. That should take at least 5-6 days on its own, and will bump your dive count up by 9. Then there's the issue of minimum dives. With PADI its 40 to begin the DM, with SSI its 24 for Dive Guide and 50 for Dive Master.

You'd be much better off getting your advanced and rescue courses done, then concentrating of fun dives to gain more experience. The pro level course needs more time dedicated to it, so leave that 'til your next trip. Taking any pro level course in a compressed timeframe will not give you nearly as much quantity - and therefore quality - of training, experience, mentoring or feedback you need to be an employable DM.

Sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping for, but for yourself, your future customers and your employers alike, its definitely the best way forward.

Happy diving, have a great trip :)

Legally it could be possible, but to be hero in 17 day its impossible, it's not advisable to do it in a tight period , I would advice you to do it when you have enough time to go through the proper leaning scheme, Hope that's helpful

Here's an interesting question, WHY are you wanting to go for Divemaster, and why are you trying to cram it into 17 days? Something I learned in my OW course each time I went into the classroom was how easy it is to die from screw-ups while diving. Divemaster is a big responsibility and shouldn't be taken on so lightly.

Others here have already offered some great input, and I'm sure that you are seeing and hearing a consistent theme. You might ask yourself that if the situation was reversed and you were on a dive being led by someone who held the title of DM, but who had almost zero dive experience, would you feel comfortable enough to place yourself in their hands?

IMHO.....those who offer a zero to hero approach are much more interested in your wallet than in developing a real dive professional.

I'm brand new to diving and I want to make my way to instructor. Sure, "technically" you can do it relatively quickly. But as others have said, the sport is fun, but it can also be deadly over very simple things if they aren't learned, practiced, and you have made them 2nd nature. Even I have enough common sense to realize that. As a DM, or even as just an OW certified diver, it's not only your own life that's on the line... it's others as well.

See if this makes sense to you, a fellow "guppy" in the world of scuba: My intention is to take my time, get the knowledge and more important, the experience before moving to the next step. My confindence in my own ability to do everything I need to is the prime goal, above all else.

Will there be opportunities available if you can't take advantage of this one? You bet. Don't worry about that. By "taking care of business", you'll actually be opening up more, even better opportunities for yourself, and you'll be an incredible asset to others who will learn from you.

Besides "zero to hero" being a bad idea for both you and your future clients, I don't think it's possible. You need AOW, Science of Diving, Rescue?, EFR, 40 logged dives and Dive Guide. And there's probably other requirements - including any by your instructor(s).

I don't see any way to do that in 17 days - maybe if you had 2 months. Plus as SSI you'll also have to put in some time working at the shop so that will cut into your dive/training time.

Some actual time in the water would be good too.

Back
Top Bottom